Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spherical Polar Coordinates

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    Express the following vector field in spherical coordinates. (The
    answer should be in a form that uses the unit vectors of the curvilinear coordi-
    nate system and coefficient functions that are written in terms of the curvilinear
    coordinates.)

[itex] \underline{F} = -y \underline{i} + x \underline{j} + (x^2 + y^2)\underline{k}[/itex]

OK, so I've obtained the equation:

[itex]\underline{F} = rsin\theta(-sin\phi\mathbf{i} + cos\phi\underline{j} +rsin\theta\underline{k})[/itex] simply by substituting [itex]x = rsin\theta cos\phi[/itex] etc. into the above equations. Now how do I express this in terms of the unit vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_r,\mathbf{e}\phi, \mathbf{e}_\theta[/itex] ??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what are the unit vectors in spherical polars in terms of Cartesian unit vectors?

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    [itex]\underline{e}_r = sin\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) + cos\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\theta} = cos\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) - sin\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\phi} = -sin\phi \underline{i} + cos\phi{j}[/itex]

I can't see how to write the above equation in terms of these unit vectors...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll need to solve these 3 equations for i, j, and k. Then substitute the solutions into the equation from your previous post.

6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    I mean really, I don't mean to sound ungrateful or anything, but how stupid do you think I am? I know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. In any event, I've solved it by myself. Note for the future: your method is slightly long winded. Thanks anyway!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook