1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Polar Coordinates

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    Express the following vector field in spherical coordinates. (The
    answer should be in a form that uses the unit vectors of the curvilinear coordi-
    nate system and coefficient functions that are written in terms of the curvilinear
    coordinates.)

[itex] \underline{F} = -y \underline{i} + x \underline{j} + (x^2 + y^2)\underline{k}[/itex]

OK, so I've obtained the equation:

[itex]\underline{F} = rsin\theta(-sin\phi\mathbf{i} + cos\phi\underline{j} +rsin\theta\underline{k})[/itex] simply by substituting [itex]x = rsin\theta cos\phi[/itex] etc. into the above equations. Now how do I express this in terms of the unit vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_r,\mathbf{e}\phi, \mathbf{e}_\theta[/itex] ??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what are the unit vectors in spherical polars in terms of Cartesian unit vectors?

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    [itex]\underline{e}_r = sin\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) + cos\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\theta} = cos\theta(cos\phi \underline{i} + sin\phi{j}) - sin\theta\underline{k}[/itex]

[itex] \underline{e}_{\phi} = -sin\phi \underline{i} + cos\phi{j}[/itex]

I can't see how to write the above equation in terms of these unit vectors...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll need to solve these 3 equations for i, j, and k. Then substitute the solutions into the equation from your previous post.

6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    I mean really, I don't mean to sound ungrateful or anything, but how stupid do you think I am? I know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. In any event, I've solved it by myself. Note for the future: your method is slightly long winded. Thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?