Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical shape of nucleus

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    Why nucleus is spherical in shape in its stable state?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2
    Could you rephrase the question?

Nuclei are generally spherical, but can be flattened under certain conditions and still remain stable. Protons and neutrons exchange glueons, etc. There's continual motion between baryons.

4. Jun 25, 2010 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

A nucleus is typically not spherical. This can be seen via its electric and/or magnetic multipole moments.

5. Jun 25, 2010 #4
    What causes the multipole moments? (I'm new here.)

Do the protons gather on one side and the neutrons on the other? My small understanding is that they nucleus is rather homogeneous, with the continual sharing of gluons and other activities.

6. Jun 25, 2010 #5
    I was studying liquid drop model of nucleus and came with this similarity between nucleus and liquid drop that both of them are spherical. Liquid drop is spherical due to symmetrical forces of surface tension but don't know why nucleus is spherical in its stable state.

7. Jun 25, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

But roshan, what we are trying to tell you is that nuclei are not in general spherical. You can't find out "why" if the statement isn't true.

8. Jun 25, 2010 #7
  9. Jun 25, 2010 #8
    There's no reason to apologise.Try googling "the shape of a nucleus".

10. Jun 25, 2010 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook