1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical shells

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A steel sphere of radius 2.5 cm has a positive charge of 400 nC and it is surrounded by a plastic sphere of radius 10 cm that has the same properties as free space. This plastic sphere is coated with a thin copper metal and has a charge of -400 nC.

What is the value for the voltage at r=0 and the potential difference between the steel sphere and the copper shell?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am getting like 2 answers. I got one of them from my professor, I got the other one using a method which was described on my ebook's site.

This is the way that I did:

-[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ K Qinside}{r^2}[/tex] dr

where the upper limit of the integral is a and lower limit is b. And in this case a=2.5cm and b = 10 cm.

I arrive at that expression for V at r=0 with this

V = -[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ K Qinside}{r^2}[/tex] dr -[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ K Qinside}{r^2}[/tex] dr -[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ K Qinside}{r^2}[/tex] dr

And here the limit of the 1st integral is upper limit is b and lower is [tex]\infty[/tex], 2nd integral: upper is a and lower is b, 3rd: upper is 0 and lower is a

Now the integral from [tex]\infty[/tex] to b becomes 0 because the charge (400-400) will add up to 0.

Integal from a to 0 is 0 because voltage inside a conductor is always 0.

The remaining stuff is from a to b and this is how I arrived.
    The answer for that is 107880

If you want to understand it further clearly
    download this file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3cx5bj

What my professor did is:

-[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ K Qinside}{r^2}[/tex] dr

Without any limits and solved it with r = 2.5 cm which gives answer of 144000V

All this is for r=0 the first part of the question.

And I don't know what will the 2nd part be.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    You're doing
    [tex]V(r)=\int E \cdot dl[/tex]
    right?

You have to have limits, I don't know how your professor would do it any other way. You of course want to look at the region between a and b, as you said.

Did you get this?
    [tex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(\frac{q}{b}-\frac{q}{a})[/tex]

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    Ya right? This is exactly what I said.

And this will be the answer for r=0 and even the potential difference right?

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    So let's see here:

V=9*10^9*(400*10^-9/(10*10^-2)-400*10^-9/(2.5*10^-2))=-108000V

I think you're right. I'm really curious to see if we missed something as the problem is very straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook