Spherical tank proportion question

In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the radius "r" in a picture that shows a spherical tank with a water level draining out. "R" is the radius of the tank, "r" is the radius of the water level, and "h" is the height of the water level. The person asking for help is trying to find a general proportion using Pythagoras' theorem, and another person suggests relating the sidelengths of a triangle formed by the vertex in the center and sides with lengths R-h, r, and R. Eventually, they come up with the equation r=\sqrt{2Rh-h^{2}} and clarify the meaning of curvature. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to use the equation (
TheLaughingMan
I need to know how to figure out "r" in this picture from "R" and "h". It is some kind of proportion or integral I'm guessing, but I can;t think of it. "R" is the radius of a spherical tank. "r" is the radius of the water level (not the same as "R") "h" is the height of the water level. Here is the pic. The water level will be draining out, that's why I need to figure out a GENERAL proportion.
Can someone help me!

here is the pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/sk3499/mathQ1.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of Pythagoras' theorem.

it's changing at a non constant rate if the water goes down. I can't see how pythagorian thm applies. I know how to do a conic tank, but it seems liek I would need to use the circles equation here for one of the sides, mabye the hypotenues, is that right?

Regard the triangle with one vertex in the centre, and sidelengths R-h,r and R.
How can you relate these sidelengths by Pythagoras' theorem?

r=Sqrt((R^2) - ((r-h)^2) )

is that right? Even then the curvature is greater near the bottom?

It should be:
[tex]r=\sqrt{R^{2}-(R-h)^{2}}=\sqrt{2Rh-h^{2}}[/tex]
What do you mean by curvature??

arildno said:
It should be:
[tex]r=\sqrt{R^{2}-(R-h)^{2}}=\sqrt{2Rh-h^{2}}[/tex]
What do you mean by curvature??

ok, thanks, that's making sense now.

so if I go (pi)*(r^2) with r equal to what we just came up with, I get the cross sectional area of the water at any time , right?

What do YOU think?
Don't be too unsure of yourself.

Welcome to PF.

1. What is a spherical tank proportion question?

A spherical tank proportion question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the ratio or proportion between the volume of a spherical tank and its radius or diameter. It is commonly used in engineering and science fields to design and calculate the capacity of spherical tanks.

2. How is the volume of a spherical tank calculated?

The volume of a spherical tank is calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the tank. Alternatively, the formula V = πd^3/6 can be used, where d is the diameter of the tank. These formulas assume that the tank is a perfect sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the volume and radius of a spherical tank?

The volume of a spherical tank is directly proportional to the cube of its radius. This means that if the radius is doubled, the volume will increase by a factor of 8. Similarly, if the radius is halved, the volume will decrease by a factor of 8.

4. How can spherical tank proportion questions be applied in real-life situations?

Spherical tank proportion questions can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing storage tanks for liquids or gases, calculating the capacity of water tanks, and determining the size of fuel tanks for vehicles. They can also be used in industries that require precise measurement and control of volumes, such as chemical and pharmaceutical industries.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical tank proportion questions?

One limitation of using spherical tank proportion questions is that they assume the tank is a perfect sphere, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, these questions do not take into account other factors such as pressure, temperature, and material properties, which may affect the volume of the tank. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations and make appropriate adjustments in calculations to ensure accurate results.