1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical to cartesian?

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A field is given in spherical coordinates as F=[cos(θ)/r2]∙ar+[sin(θ)/r]∙aθ. Express F in terms of x, y, z, ax, ay, az

2. Relevant equations

ar∙ax=sin(θ)cos(∅)
    ar∙ay=sin(θ)sin(∅)
    ar∙az=cos(θ)
    aθ∙ax=cos(θ)cos(∅)
    aθ∙ay=cos(θ)sin(∅)
    aθ∙az=-sin(θ)
    x=r*sin(θ)*cos(∅)
    y=r*sin(θ)*sin(∅)
    z=r*cos(θ)
    r=√(x2+y2+z2 )
    cos(θ)=z/r
    ∅=tan-1(y/x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    cos(θ)/r2*[sin(θ)cos(∅)ax+sin(θ)sin(∅)ay+cos(θ)az]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

z/r3*[sin(θ)cos(∅)ax+sin(θ)sin(∅)ay+cos(θ)az]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

(z*r)/r4*[sin(θ)cos(∅)ax+sin(θ)sin(∅)ay+cos(θ)az]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

z/r4*[xax+yay+zaz]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

z/(x2+y2+z2)3*[xax+yay+zaz]+sin(θ)/r*[cos(θ)cos(∅)ax+cos(θ)cos(∅)ay-sin(θ)az]

That's about as far as I've gotten. I'm not even sure if what I've done so far is on the right track or not :/ I'm not sure what to do with the 2nd half of this equation?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the fact that [itex]\vec{F} = (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_x)\hat{a}_x + (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_y)\hat{a}_y + (\vec{F}\cdot\hat{a}_z)\hat{a}_z[/itex].

Calculate [itex]\vec{F}\cdot \hat{a}_x[/itex] using the various dot products you listed above. Then convert from the spherical variables to the Cartesian variables.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Isn't that what I did above? I didn't originally show the ax, ay, az in my work but I just added them in there for clarity.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, OK. I didn't see the unit vectors in your original attempt, so I figured you were doing it all wrong and didn't bother to look too closely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?