1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical to rectangular

1. Oct 10, 2003 #1
    This equation of a sphere in spherical coordinate form:
    ρ = 4sinφcosθ converts very readily to (x-2)2 + y2 + z2 = 4 with very little effort.

Now this similar equation looks to me like it should also be a sphere, but I can't seem to get anywhere with it:
    ρ = 4sinθcosφ

I just end up with a very ugly
    x2 + y2 + z2 = 4yz/(√(x2+y2)
    and I have no idea what to do with that.

Is this a dead end? Is the second equation not a sphere?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can only ask what makes you think the second equation would be a sphere. Spherical coordinates are not "symmetric" in θ and φ.

4. Oct 10, 2003 #3
    I guess I can only plead insanity on this one.

When it comes to spherical coordinates I'm an absolute greenhorn. The only reason I thought it might be a sphere is that I thought that was the equation that was given on my calc 3 exam last night, and I guess I was "mis-remembering".

But actually, I did wake up this morning thinking that the 2nd equation probably isn't a sphere; I realized that the sinφ and cosθ are "out of phase", i.e. φ is approaching its max when θ is approaching its min, and I was going to post that as a "supplementary" question. So thanks for answering my second question before I even asked it.

And thanks for pointing out so succinctly what characterizes a sphere's equation in spherical coordinates.

So, do you have any idea what "my" equation looks like on a graph?

5. Oct 10, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's a quartic of some kind. Clear the square roots and fractions and I believe you will have a fourth degree equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?