Understanding Spherical Trigonometry: What is it and How is it Used?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's current knowledge of mathematics and their interest in learning spherical trigonometry. They ask if anyone has knowledge of the subject and if they can provide a general overview or example problems. The speaker also mentions using Google for introductory questions, but acknowledges that insights from experienced individuals can be valuable as well.
science.girl
Currently, my knowledge of mathematics includes topics through Calculus, Number Theory, and a bit of Linear Algebra. However, what I'm really interested in learning is spherical trigonometry.

I understand that spherical trig has diverse apps in astronomy, but that's about the extent of my knowledge... for now ;)

Anyone here know spherical trig? I think a general overview would be very helpful. Maybe an example problem or two?

Any help is appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You know, nowadays most of the introductory questions in forums are getting answered by google anyway.

So you can easily skip those here.:wink:

MathematicalPhysicist said:
You know, nowadays most of the introductory questions in forums are getting answered by google anyway.

So you can easily skip those here.:wink:

Thanks, I will be exploring this further via Google. But I have found that many bright people who visit these forums can also provide some great insights for learning various topics, and often these insights cannot be found in a textbook or web search... just good ol' experience :smile:

However, I will keep this in mind. Thanks!

What is Spherical Trigonometry?

Spherical Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles on the surface of a sphere. It involves using trigonometric functions to solve problems related to distances, angles, and areas on a spherical surface.

What are the applications of Spherical Trigonometry?

Spherical Trigonometry has various applications in fields such as astronomy, navigation, geodesy, and geophysics. It is used to calculate the position of celestial bodies, determine the shortest distance between two points on the Earth's surface, and map out the curvature of the Earth.

How is Spherical Trigonometry different from Planar Trigonometry?

Spherical Trigonometry deals with triangles on a curved surface, while Planar Trigonometry deals with triangles on a flat surface. In Spherical Trigonometry, the sum of the angles of a triangle is greater than 180 degrees, and the trigonometric functions are defined differently due to the curvature of the sphere.

What are the basic concepts in Spherical Trigonometry?

The basic concepts in Spherical Trigonometry include the spherical triangle, which has three sides and three angles, as well as the six trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. The Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines are also important principles in this branch of mathematics.

How can Spherical Trigonometry be used to solve real-world problems?

Spherical Trigonometry can be used to solve real-world problems such as determining the distance between two cities on a globe, finding the shortest flight path between two locations, and calculating the size and shape of the Earth. It is also used in satellite navigation systems and in measuring the Earth's magnetic field.