1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Vector Wave Functions and Surface Green's Functions

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm currently doing research to try and find a way of calculating simultaneously both the internal and external fields of elliptic shaped dielectric and metallic nanoparticles with a depression on one of its sides so as it would look like a bean. We use spherical vector wave functions to expand the propagating wave this much I know however I dont actually know how to explain what spherical vector wave functions are so any simplified explanation would be helpful. Also we are going to use a surface Green's function to give an exact relation between the internal and scattered fields and the incident fields however again I've covered calculating Green's functions in other classes but not sure what a Layman's explanation of them would be so any information you could help me with would be very much appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted