1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical wave

1. May 1, 2007 #1
    Hey!

Im quite confused about spherical waves. I mean, I understand that a spherical wave can be described by

[tex]
    \Psi = \frac{1}{r} e^{i r},
    [/tex]

because the intensity of such a wave decreases as [tex]1/r^2[/tex]. The intensity of such a wave is given by [tex] I = 1/r^2 [/tex] which makes sense to me. But a spherical wave can also be described by

[tex]
    \Psi = \frac{1}{r} \cos r,
    [/tex]

which gives a much different behaviour of the intensity because the intensity of such a wave is [tex] 1/r^2 cos^2(r) [/tex]. If these two expressions both describe a spherical wave, how come they don't have the same intensity?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    At a guess, I'd say that they're the same thing if you take time averages.

<cos^2(kx-wt)>=1/2

4. May 1, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are spherical functions as in that they are angle independent. As they have no time dependence, in what sense are they waves?

5. May 2, 2007 #4
    Okay, so if they both had time dependence [tex]-i \omega t[/tex] so that

[tex]
    \Psi = \frac{1}{r} e^{i ( k r - \omega t)}
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    \Psi = \frac{1}{r} \cos( k r - \omega t)},
    [/tex]

but they still don't have the same intensity, since the intensity of the second one is an oscillating function of r and t whereas the first one takes off as 1/r^2 and is therefore not oscillating.

6. May 2, 2007 #5
    Again, <cos^2(kr-wt)>=1/2 at any particular value of r and averaging over time.

7. May 2, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

???? Not oscillating? The second equation is the real part of the first.

8. May 2, 2007 #7
    But isn't the intensity given by [tex]\Psi \Psi^*[/tex]? This gives an intensity equal to 1/r^2 for the wave described by a complex exponential function but an intensity equal to [tex]1/r^2 cos^2(k r - w t)[/tex] for the other one.

9. May 2, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, that's what you're trying to say. Yes, the cos one has a time-dependent 'intensity' and the other doesn't. But as christianjb pointed out, <cos^2>=1/2. So in an average sense one is 1/2 of the other. Not surprising since it's also the 'real half'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?