1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spheroids and elliptoids

1. Jul 3, 2016 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A story I wrote depends on some geometry, and I want to get it straight.

Assumptions:
    1] The 2D math that applies to circles and ellipses is analagous to the 3D math for spheres and ellipsoids in the ways relevant to the rest of my post.
    2] An ellipse is a circle whose two foci are co-incident. Thus, a sphere is an ellipsoid whose two foci are co-incient.

What I want to figure out is what happens to the surface of an ellipse/ellipsoid when the two co-incident foci are moved apart.

Say I have a sphere of unit radius. I move its two foci two units apart. What happens to the surface?
    What is the length of its semi-minor axis?
    What is the length of its semi-major axis?

And, more specifically, what happens to the distance from focus-to-surface near the "ends"?
    Does the distance from focus to surface decrease as the ellipsoid "stretches" thinner? (i.e. is the focus now closer to the surface than one unit?)

[ EDIT ] The correct term for my shape is a prolate spheroid - a cigar shape**. Equatorial radii a and b are the same. Polar radius c is longer.

** by magical coincidence, I am writing this while smoking a cigar.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Same as in the two-dimensional case. The ellipsoid you get in that way is the ellipse rotated around the symmetry axis. Note that not all ellipsoids can be produced that way - you are limited to those with one large axis and two identical smaller axes.

I wonder what shape you get if you require the sum of distances to three (instead of two) points to be constant. The two-dimensional shape can be egg-like. Another egg.

4. Jul 3, 2016 #3

fresh_42

5. Jul 3, 2016 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Right. Which is what?

(The only reason I mentioned the 2D case is so that, when I set up some details in my story, I can sketch the simpler 2D geometry. I don't have to wory about whether 3D geometry has different behavior).

6. Jul 3, 2016 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The end-result of my question is this: as the two foci separate, does the focus-to-surface distance (what was a moment ago, the radius) at the pole decrease to less than one unit?

7. Jul 3, 2016 #6

fresh_42

... as long as the NFL is off season ...
    I have a question. Why isn't the equation for the eccentricity ##e^2 = 1 - \frac{a^2}{c^2}## from Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheroid) not the answer because the planar foci are ##(0,±e)##?

8. Jul 3, 2016 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ah. OK. Once I drew it out, it was pretty simple. Should have started with that.

elliptoid.png
    So, the distance I was looking for was BP = .5

9. Jul 3, 2016 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Shoot. So THAT's a problem. The above ellipse assumes that it is the radii that remain constant. It can not grow larger than a major axis of 2. At that point, it degenerates to a line. That's useless to me.

I'm going to need to redo it using 3D volume as a constant.

So, a sphere of one unit radius has a volume of 4/3π. I need to find the major and minor axes of a prolate elliptoid with a volume of 4/3π whose foci are one unit apart.

Volume of sphere s = 4/3π*r3
    Volume of prolate elliptoid e = 4/3π*a2c

e=s
    4/3π*r3 = 4/3π*a2c
    r=a2c
    a2c = 1

Hm. Missing something here...
    I need to specify a as a ratio of c.

How does the focal separation relate to the major and minor axes?
    More specifically, how can I specify a and c so that the foci are one unit apart?

10. Jul 3, 2016 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted