Spheroids and elliptoids

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between surface geometry and focal separation in 2D and 3D shapes. The term "prolate spheroid" is introduced, and possible shapes resulting from constant distance to three points are mentioned. The question of whether the focus-to-surface distance decreases as the ellipsoid stretches thinner is posed, and the equation for eccentricity is brought up but not fully answered. The conversation ends with a discussion on finding the major and minor axes of a prolate elliptoid with a specified volume and focal separation. Further clarification is needed on the relationship between focal separation and major and minor axes.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
A story I wrote depends on some geometry, and I want to get it straight.

Assumptions:
1] The 2D math that applies to circles and ellipses is analagous to the 3D math for spheres and ellipsoids in the ways relevant to the rest of my post.
2] An ellipse is a circle whose two foci are co-incident. Thus, a sphere is an ellipsoid whose two foci are co-incient.

What I want to figure out is what happens to the surface of an ellipse/ellipsoid when the two co-incident foci are moved apart.

Say I have a sphere of unit radius. I move its two foci two units apart. What happens to the surface?
What is the length of its semi-minor axis?
What is the length of its semi-major axis?

And, more specifically, what happens to the distance from focus-to-surface near the "ends"?
Does the distance from focus to surface decrease as the ellipsoid "stretches" thinner? (i.e. is the focus now closer to the surface than one unit?)[ EDIT ] The correct term for my shape is a prolate spheroid - a cigar shape**. Equatorial radii a and b are the same. Polar radius c is longer.

** by magical coincidence, I am writing this while smoking a cigar.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Say I have a sphere of unit radius. I move its two foci two units apart. What happens to the surface?
What is the length of its semi-minor axis?
What is the length of its semi-major axis?
Same as in the two-dimensional case. The ellipsoid you get in that way is the ellipse rotated around the symmetry axis. Note that not all ellipsoids can be produced that way - you are limited to those with one large axis and two identical smaller axes.
I wonder what shape you get if you require the sum of distances to three (instead of two) points to be constant. The two-dimensional shape can be egg-like. Another egg.

mfb said:
Same as in the two-dimensional case. The ellipsoid you get in that way is the ellipse rotated around the symmetry axis.
Right. Which is what?

(The only reason I mentioned the 2D case is so that, when I set up some details in my story, I can sketch the simpler 2D geometry. I don't have to wory about whether 3D geometry has different behavior).

The end-result of my question is this: as the two foci separate, does the focus-to-surface distance (what was a moment ago, the radius) at the pole decrease to less than one unit?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
** by magical coincidence, I am writing this while smoking a cigar.
... as long as the NFL is off season ...
DaveC426913 said:
The end-result of my question is this: as the two foci separate, does the focus-to-surface distance (what was a moment ago, the radius) at the pole decrease to less than one unit?
I have a question. Why isn't the equation for the eccentricity ##e^2 = 1 - \frac{a^2}{c^2}## from Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheroid) not the answer because the planar foci are ##(0,±e)##?

Ah. OK. Once I drew it out, it was pretty simple. Should have started with that.

elliptoid.png

So, the distance I was looking for was BP = .5

Shoot. So THAT's a problem. The above ellipse assumes that it is the radii that remain constant. It can not grow larger than a major axis of 2. At that point, it degenerates to a line. That's useless to me.

I'm going to need to redo it using 3D volume as a constant.

So, a sphere of one unit radius has a volume of 4/3π. I need to find the major and minor axes of a prolate elliptoid with a volume of 4/3π whose foci are one unit apart.Volume of sphere s = 4/3π*r3
Volume of prolate elliptoid e = 4/3π*a2c

e=s
4/3π*r3 = 4/3π*a2c
r=a2c
a2c = 1

Hm. Missing something here...
I need to specify a as a ratio of c.

How does the focal separation relate to the major and minor axes?
More specifically, how can I specify a and c so that the foci are one unit apart?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I have a question. Why isn't the equation for the eccentricity ##e^2 = 1 - \frac{a^2}{c^2}## from Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheroid) not the answer
No idea, sorry.

What is a spheroid?

A spheroid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is similar to a sphere but is flattened at the poles. It is also known as an ellipsoid.

What is the difference between a spheroid and an elliptoid?

Both spheroids and elliptoids are three-dimensional geometric shapes that are similar to spheres but differ in their degree of flattening. A spheroid has a more pronounced flattening at the poles, while an elliptoid is less flattened and more closely resembles a sphere.

What are some real-life examples of spheroids and elliptoids?

Some examples of spheroids and elliptoids in nature include the Earth, which is a slightly flattened spheroid, and an egg, which is an elliptoid. In architecture, buildings such as the Sydney Opera House and the Guggenheim Museum are spheroid and elliptoid structures, respectively.

How are spheroids and elliptoids used in science?

Spheroids and elliptoids are used in various scientific fields, such as geodesy, astronomy, and physics, to model the shape of celestial bodies, measure the Earth's gravity and magnetic fields, and study the behavior of particles in different geometric configurations.

What is the significance of spheroids and elliptoids in the study of Earth's shape?

The Earth's shape is more accurately described as a spheroid rather than a perfect sphere, and the study of spheroids and elliptoids is crucial in understanding the Earth's topography and gravitational forces. This information is essential for navigation, cartography, and other Earth-related sciences.