Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spice mutual inductance

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know how to code the following?
    I have six inductors in series and would like to couple them to one another.
    i.e.
    L1 1 2 1u
    L2 2 3 1u
    L3 3 4 1u
    L4 4 5 1u
    L5 5 6 1u
    L6 6 7 1u

Ideally I'd like to do:
    K12 L1 L2 0.3
    K23 L2 L3 0.4
    K34 L3 L4 0.2
    K45 L4 L5 0.5
    K56 L5 L6 0.4

But this doesn't work, how do I couple them?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry it took me a bit to get to this post.

What about it doesn't work? You may just be getting a SPICE error for some other problem, like capacitors hooked in series with no path to ground for the middle node...

What is the exact error?

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    Hey, thanks for the reply.
    The message is along the lines:

The following were ignored:
    K12 L1 L2 0.3
    K23 L2 L3 0.4
    K34 L3 L4 0.2
    K45 L4 L5 0.5
    K56 L5 L6 0.4

Does that mean it just doesn't draw them (because you really can't), but still uses them in the simulation? I should also point out that I'm using multisim to do the simulation, and have opened the subckt file with it.

5. Jan 15, 2008 #4

berkeman

Well, your syntax still looks right, and I did a quick search and Multisim seems to support coupled inductors (search for "mutual" on this page):

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5416

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe you have a demo version or a limited version of the software, and that is one of the features that is not enabled in that version. Don't know why else it would "ignore" certain valid statements. What version do you have? What does it say when you do Help, About?

6. Jan 15, 2008 #5
    It says multisim power pro edition
    version 10.0.343

7. Jan 15, 2008 #6

berkeman

Try Help, Mutual Inductance. Or Help, Coupling....

8. Jan 15, 2008 #7
    I've read through, as much of the help menus I could find, before coming here. I'll email multisim and ask them about the problem.
    I'm new to SPICE and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. At least you've let me know that my syntax was correct.
    Thanks for the responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?