Adding Pictures to Reports: A Professional Approach

• Thread starter Galileo
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: I`ll be sure to check out the other programs. In summary, if you need to create a picture for your report, you can use different programs depending on the task at hand.
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm unsure on where to post this so I'll do it here. :smile:
I`m writing a report and I want to add pictures to convey several ideas.

Just asking generally, how do you usually make those pictures? Say a picture of an electrical circuit for the experimental setup, or a picture of a fcc-crystal arrangement or artist-impression picture of what the atoms in your sample are doing during some physical process.

I used to use windows paint for undergraduate reports since I didn't care too much whether it was pretty then, but I want it to look professional now without stealing pictures from other people everywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, a relatively inexpensive image/picture editor and an HP scanner/copier. Sometimes I will use Word's drawing features, and then use the bitmap image.

One can certainly download technical illustrations such as circuit diagrams or crystallographic pictures, but copyright law should be observed, which can mean 'fair use' with proper attribution.

In my reports I do at work or for school I use MS Word. I can do some tricks with AutoCAD or PRO/E to import .jpg's or bitmaps. I guess the trick is to make a picture from nothing if you have to. In my line of work, mostly I have to create charts and diagrams, not pictures per say. I would think a scanner would be a huge help.

For creating or editing images, the GIMP has all of the features that I remember using in Photoshop - and it's free: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net

If you can find a public institution that would have images for your subject, they can be easy, one-stop resources. NASA comes to mind, and googling 'NASA images' turns up plenty, most of which you can use:
NASA images generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages.
- http://www.nasa.gov/audience/formedia/features/MP_Photo_Guidelines.html
The US government may not be the first thing you think of, but it was a great resource for me (take a look at the list - it may surprise you): http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml
Most of these images and graphics are available for use in the public domain; they may be used and reproduced without permission or fee. However, some images may be protected by license. Therefore we recommend you thoroughly read the disclaimers on each site before use.
I've never done this for reports but for other things, like websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to use Word to write my reports, but any drawings which need making from scratch, I use PowerPoint. I find it much better than Word or Paint for quickly making drawings from basic shapes and lines, and you can then save them as jpegs for easy importing into Word.

Hey, great links Honest. Thanks!

I usually use Microsoft Visio for scatches and diagrams in my reports.

In my opinion, use Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. There are many other programs, too.

Masoud Zargar

I have Paint Shop Pro myself. I`m sure it can do everything a graphics designer wants to do, but I`m not much of a graphics artist.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone.

What is the importance of adding pictures to reports?

Adding pictures to reports is important because it helps to enhance the visual appeal of the report and makes it more engaging for the reader. It can also be used to illustrate and support the information presented in the report, making it easier for the reader to understand and retain the information.

What are the best types of pictures to include in a report?

The best types of pictures to include in a report are ones that are relevant to the topic and add value to the information being presented. This can include charts, graphs, diagrams, photographs, or any other visual aids that help to convey the message of the report.

How can one maintain a professional approach when adding pictures to reports?

To maintain a professional approach when adding pictures to reports, it is important to ensure that the pictures are of high quality and clearly support the information being presented. They should also be properly cited and referenced, and placed strategically within the report to enhance the overall visual appeal.

What are some tips for effectively adding pictures to reports?

Some tips for effectively adding pictures to reports include using a consistent style and format for all pictures, ensuring that they are properly sized and placed, and avoiding overcrowding the report with too many pictures. It is also important to choose pictures that are of high quality and add value to the information being presented.

How can adding pictures to reports benefit the overall presentation?

Adding pictures to reports can benefit the overall presentation by making it more visually appealing and engaging for the reader. It can also help to break up large chunks of text and make the information easier to understand and remember. Additionally, pictures can add credibility to the information being presented and make the report more memorable for the reader.