Photos of a spider attacking a hurt bee

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary: I would add children to that list, the ones that save up days of screeching for long train/plane rides and restaurants.
fluidistic
Gold Member
This is the story of 2 bees entering my appartment today. One flew away while the other had to fight against my girlfriend who eventually hurted it. It felt down at the bottom of our window, not the best spot. Right over a spider net. After a few seconds a spider poped up, wrapped its prey with its silk rope. The spider then took the prey inside its nest to devore it, outside my viewfield.
The spectacle was somehow horrible for me (I really, really hate spiders) although I managed to take some blurry photos.
2s9tz7t.jpg

148kw85.jpg

The photos were taken today in Córdoba city in Argentina using a panasonic DMC TZ25/ZS15. I had the mode macro enabled and the lense was at not further than 5 cm away from the scene.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to clean your windows :D

I witnessed a wasp kill a fairly large spider while working in my yard last year. Thrilling!

• Sad
Likes pinball1970 and strangerep
Greg Bernhardt said:
I witnessed a wasp kill a fairly large spider while working in my yard last year. Thrilling!
Thrilling?? I saw a similar thing a few years ago, but the spider was a huntsman (essentially harmless to humans). I was sad for the spider and wished I could have killed the wasp.

strangerep said:
Thrilling?? I saw a similar thing a few years ago, but the spider was a huntsman (essentially harmless to humans). I was sad for the spider and wished I could have killed the wasp.
Not as big as the huntsman and I live in a city, so I don't get that much nature 😉

fluidistic said:
I really, really hate spiders
And you still let that spider stay with you in your apartment? My principle is simple: either insects, or me. That includes reptiles, by the way. The one we cannot deal with is the lizard. :H The more you try to throw it away, the more it comes back. Anyone interested in freeing my apartment from lizards?

Wrichik Basu said:
And you still let that spider stay with you in your apartment? My principle is simple: either insects, or me.

Spiders are not insects. In fact, they eat insects.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
Umm, I know that. Yeah, the phrasing indicated something like what you understood. Pardon my English..:headbang:

fluidistic said:
This is the story of 2 bees entering my appartment today. One flew away while the other had to fight against my girlfriend who eventually hurted it. It felt down at the bottom of our window, not the best spot. Right over a spider net. After a few seconds a spider poped up, wrapped its prey with its silk rope. The spider then took the prey inside its nest to devore it, outside my viewfield.
The spectacle was somehow horrible for me (I really, really hate spiders) although I managed to take some blurry photos.
View attachment 158833
View attachment 158834
The photos were taken today in Córdoba city in Argentina using a panasonic DMC TZ25/ZS15. I had the mode macro enabled and the lense was at not further than 5 cm away from the scene.
Your windowsill looks like some sort of Arthropod grave yard. I recommend using the narrow nozzle on a decent vacuum cleaner, suck the whole lot into oblivion

Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
Note that I posted this picture over 6 years ago. I didn't have a vacuum cleaner at that time.

As a sidenote, I killed a bigger spider in my appartment 2 nights ago, with a shoe in my hand. I wish this stuff did not exist.

Likes Wrichik Basu
fluidistic said:
Note that I posted this picture over 6 years ago. I didn't have a vacuum cleaner at that time.

As a sidenote, I killed a bigger spider in my appartment 2 nights ago, with a shoe in my hand. I wish this stuff did not exist.
Essential to birds bats other mammals and fish as part of the food chain. I don't like killing spiders. I am just not keen on anything with more than 4 legs.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, I think they are and here's my reasoning.

"Insect" derives from "in" meaning little and "sect" meaning nasty creature, so insects include nasty little creatures such as

spiders
little yippy dogs
politicians
Truman Capote

Likes Wrichik Basu
phinds said:
Well, I think they are and here's my reasoning.

"Insect" derives from "in" meaning little and "sect" meaning nasty creature, so insects include nasty little creatures such as

spiders
little yippy dogs
politicians
Truman Capote
What’s wrong with Capote?Thought he was revered in literary circles?
I would add children to that list, the ones that save up days of screeching for long train/plane rides and restaurants.I would rather sit next to spider on a plane than a 3 year old

pinball1970 said:
What’s wrong with Capote?
Thought he was revered in literary circles?
He wrote one great book and several good ones and IS admired in literary circles for that reason, but apparently personally, he was a real <forum rules prohibit the next word>.

phinds said:
He wrote one great book and several good ones and IS admired in literary circles for that reason, but apparently personally, he was a real <forum rules prohibit the next word>.

Many great artists were self-obsessed, selfish, brats according to their partners children managers other band members.

They say never meet your heroes as you will always be disappointed.

I met Ian Gillan in 1989 after a gig in Manchester and he was a real gent.

Also Richard Dawkins a couple of years ago at a book signing briefly, he seemed pleasant enough, he smiled at me anyway.
Anyway one more word on the spider, it looks big.

Its abdomen is pretty much the same size as the Bee’s which from memory are much fatter than a house spider in the UK

Apis or Bombus are the main ones I think – honey and bumble, I am not googling them to make sure someone else can do that

So either they have smaller bees in Argentina or this is a large spider.

Spiders exist since less than half a billion years ago. Life was doing fine without them. If we were to extinct them right now, a new "equilibrium" between species would take some time but it wouldn't be the end of all life on Earth.

Likes Wrichik Basu
fluidistic said:
Spiders exist since less than half a billion years ago. Life was doing fine without them. If we were to extinct them right now, a new "equilibrium" between species would take some time but it wouldn't be the end of all life on Earth.
You could say exactly the same thing about people, and the resulting equilibrium would be more healthy for the planet. I'm not in favor, however.

Likes Wrichik Basu
phinds said:
You could say exactly the same thing about people, and the resulting equilibrium would be more healthy for the planet. I'm not in favor, however.
I agree with you!

1. What is the significance of photos of a spider attacking a hurt bee?

Photos of a spider attacking a hurt bee can provide valuable insight into the behavior and interactions between these two species. It can also help researchers understand the role of spiders in pollination and their impact on bee populations.

2. How do spiders attack bees?

Spiders typically attack bees by using their venom to immobilize and subdue them. They may also use their strong webs to trap and wrap the bee, making it easier to attack.

3. Are spiders a threat to bee populations?

While spiders do prey on bees, they are not a major threat to bee populations. Other factors such as pesticides, habitat loss, and diseases have a much larger impact on bee populations.

4. Why do spiders attack bees?

Spiders attack bees for food. Bees are a source of protein and energy for spiders, and attacking them is a survival mechanism for spiders.

5. Can photos of a spider attacking a hurt bee be used for conservation efforts?

Yes, photos of a spider attacking a hurt bee can be used to raise awareness about the importance of preserving natural habitats and biodiversity. They can also be used to educate people on the role of spiders in ecosystems and the need to protect all species, including bees.

Back