Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spider eats bird ?

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2
    Re: Spider eats bird!!??

Spiders are very interesting creatures ....

That spider maybe on drugs :).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
  5. Oct 27, 2008 #4

I don't want to see a spider that big...EVER!

6. Oct 27, 2008 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want a spider of your nightmares, search for camel spider on youtube. They provide a diversion for bored soldiers in Iraq (most of the videos have some raw language).

The camel spider vs mouse is pretty disturbing. The camel spider and lizard videos are pretty exciting, too.

7. Oct 27, 2008 #6

We could make this, Natures Halloween Gross out Thread. :surprised

8. Oct 27, 2008 #7
  9. Oct 27, 2008 #8

Here is Mr. tarantula now

Actually here in the southwest the females are larger than the males.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Oct 27, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An aussie friend told me that the most dangerous spider in australia is the huntsman.
    It's one of the few non-venomous creatures in Oz, but it's about a foot across and likes to live in the roofs of caves or inside cars.

You are driving along in the standard Australian manner (think mad-max), flick down the sun visor and a spider the size of Texas lands on your face.
    The resulting crashes kill lots of people, apparently the nasty venomous little spiders haven't killed anyone for years since everybody recognises them and anti-venoms are available.

11. Oct 27, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Sydney Funnelweb spider used to kill less 1% of the people it bit (which is pretty deadly for spiders). Since an anti-venom for it was developed in 1980, no one has died of a spider bite in Australia.

So as long as one person has been killed in an auto accident since 1980 because of a Huntsman spider terrifying them, then they're most the deadly spider in Australia. Kangaroos are probably deadlier, though - especially if you drive after sunset.

I would think head-on collisions with oncoming traffic would be the biggest risk. It seems like practically no one cares about staying on the right side of the road.

12. Oct 27, 2008 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They have to stop showing mad-max in drivers ed!

13. Oct 27, 2008 #12

I may never sleep again. I remember when I was around 10 or 12 watching arachnophobia the movie at a friends and spending hours shaking out curtains and shoes just praying I didnt find a spider.

14. Oct 27, 2008 #13

I eat spiders they don't eat me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?