How Can I Permanently Remove Spider Mites from My Rose Bush?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person's struggle with a rose bush infested with spider mites and their attempts to get rid of them. They have tried hosing down the plant and using insecticides, but the mites keep coming back. They are seeking advice on how to permanently get rid of the mites before bringing the plant inside for the winter. One suggestion is to use a systemic rose and flower care product. Another is to remove the plant from its pot, wash off the dirt and leaves, treat it with a spider mite killer, and repot it in fresh soil. They also share their experience using canola oil as a non-toxic method for dealing with insect infestations on other plants.
Moonbear said:
Are the leaves sprouting already damaged, or did it happen after they looked normal for a while?

They're coming out really faded, but otherwise normal. Then they started curling and blackening. I moved it away from the heater, hopefully that will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
They're coming out really faded, but otherwise normal. Then they started curling and blackening. I moved it away from the heater, hopefully that will help.
Fingers crossed. New leaves are delicate and need water/nutrients in their veins to develop. The curled, dessicated edges may be the plant's response to too-rapid water loss. I lost a really pretty grape ivy in college due to (I believe) the fact that the only sunny place big enough for the pot was right over the heater on the window sill. The ivy was fine there until the outside weather got cold and the heater ran a lot. When I got my own apartment (dorms were mandatory for freshmen then), I got another cutting from my mother's plant and it thrived.

Pale new leaves are often a sign of nitrogen deficiency. Note that the soil may not actually be deficient in nitrogen - incorrect pH can inhibit nitrogen uptake even when the nutrient balance is OK. For less than $20, you can get a soils test kit at any good garden shop that let's you test for all major nutrients and pH, and you'll get enough reagent capsules to let you do about a dozen tests of each. "Rapitest" is the trade name my kit was sold under - there are probably a lot more.

My rose bush has a new problem (it's not doing well in the appartment since winder came along). The stalks are turning brown and drying out, they seem to be drying out from the bottom up. Any ideas?

On the bright side though, the smaller one is doing well.