Solving Spider on the Rod Problem Using Conservation of Angular Momentum

• Thread starter Tanya Sharma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, the conversation discusses an approach to a problem involving conservation of angular momentum and torque. The participants consider different aspects of the problem, including the application of external forces, the location of the center of mass, and the normal force between the spider and rod. They ultimately conclude that the normal force is zero and the torque due to gravity on the whole system is equal to the sum of the torques of gravity on the individual parts.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=71429&stc=1&d=1405615246.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying conservation of angular momentum w.r.t center O

MvL/4 = (ML2/12+ML2/16)ω , where ω is the angular speed of (rod+spider)

This gives ω = (12v/7L)

The torque τ acting on the system when the spider is at distance 'r' and the rod has rotated by an angle θ is given by τ = 2Mgrcosθ (1)

τ = (dθ/dt)(dI/dt) (2)

where I = (ML2/12+Mr2)

dI/dt = 2Mr(dr/dt) = 2Mr(dr/dθ)(dθ/dt) (3)

From the above equations I get gcosθdθ = ω2dr . Integrating I get v = (7/6)√(gL)

I don't know the answer . Is this the correct way to approach the problem ?

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• Problem.PNG
    Problem.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Likes Satvik Pandey
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya, your approach looks good to me. But I don't see how you get the factor of 2 in your equation (1).

Okay.

When the spider is at distance r ,the CM should be at distance (r/2) from the center .In that case torque should be (2M)g(r/2)cosθ = Mgrcosθ .

This gives v = (7√2/12)√(gL) .

Is this correct ?

Likes Satvik Pandey
Tanya Sharma said:
Okay.

When the spider is at distance r ,the CM should be at distance (r/2) from the center .In that case torque should be (2M)g(r/2)cosθ = Mgrcosθ .

This gives v = (7√2/12)√(gL) .

I think your expression for the answer might be right. At least that's what I got with a somewhat different approach.

But, I'm not following your analysis of the torque. If you choose to find the external torque relative to the CM of the entire system, wouldn't you need to consider the reaction force at the pivot of the rod? And I don't understand the (2M) factor. Relative to the CM of the system, does the torque due to the weight of the rod act in the same direction as the torque due to the weight of the spider?

In your first post, I thought you were taking O as the origin for applying ##\tau## = dL/dt.
For example, it looks to me that your expression I = ML2/12 + Mr2 is for O as the origin.

[I like O as the origin for doing the analysis :smile:]

Likes Satvik Pandey
TSny said:
But, I'm not following your analysis of the torque. If you choose to find the external torque relative to the CM of the entire system, wouldn't you need to consider the reaction force at the pivot of the rod? And I don't understand the (2M) factor. Relative to the CM of the system, does the torque due to the weight of the rod act in the same direction as the torque due to the weight of the spider?

But I have done the analysis using the center of the rod O .I am not finding external torque relative to the CM .

The CM of the system is a distance (r/2) from O .The net gravitational force acting on the CM is 2Mg(mass of rod+spider) .Hence the net torque about O = (2Mg)(r/2)cosθ = Mgrcosθ

Wouldn't the gravitational force on the system(rod+spider) be acting at the CM ?

Sorry if I am missing something very obvious .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
But I have done the analysis using the center of the rod O .I am not finding external torque relative to the CM .

The CM of the system is a distance (r/2) from O .The net gravitational force acting on the CM is 2Mg(mass of rod+spider) .Hence the net torque about O = (2Mg)(r/2)cosθ = Mgrcosθ

Wouldn't the gravitational force on the system(rod+spider) be acting at the CM ?

Sorry if I am missing something very obvious .

Yes, the torque about O is τ=Mgrcosθ. But your equation (1) in the OP stated that it was τ=2Mgrcosθ.

The torques add if there are separate parts of a system. No need to determine the CM.

The rod has its CM at O. The torque of gravity is zero on it.

You did the following: Rcm=( M*0+Mr)/(2M), τ=( M*0+Mr)/(2M) * (2Mg) cosθ.
ehild

Last edited:
OK. I now see what you were doing. Your expression Mgrcosθ is correct for the torque about O.

The way I was looking at it: the weight of the rod acts through O, so it produces no torque about O. That leaves just the torque about O due to the spider, which is Mgrcosθ. Same as your expression.

Good!

[Edit: I see ehild already clarified it. Thanks.]

Just a small doubt .

We add torques on different parts of the system , but they should be due to external forces only . The torque due to Normal force N on spider as well as rod cancel each other .

Right ?

So if we consider the spider and rod in isolation then ,

Net torque on spider about O = Mgrcosθ - Nr

Net torque on rod about O = Nr

Net torque on the system = Mgrcosθ - Nr + Nr = Mgrcosθ

Is it alright ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Just a small doubt .

We add torques on different parts of the system , but they should be due to external forces only . The torque due to Normal force N on spider as well as rod cancel each other .

Right ?

So if we consider the spider and rod in isolation then ,

Net torque on spider about O = Mgrcosθ - Nr

Net torque on rod about O = Nr

Net torque on the system = Mgrcosθ - Nr + Nr = Mgrcosθ

Is it alright ?

Yes. That all looks good.

For this problem the rod has constant ω after the collision. What can you say about the normal force N between the spider and the rod?

You are right, but we know that the torques of interaction cancel. Also, the torque of the force exerted by a fixed axis is zero.

Torque is due to external forces. It is gravity now. The torque of gravity on the whole system is the sum of the torques of gravity on the parts.

ehild

Likes Satvik Pandey
TSny said:
What can you say about the normal force N between the spider and the rod?

zero .

Tanya Sharma said:
zero .

Yes. That was how I first approached the problem. I wondered how the spider would need to move along the rod so that it wouldn't exert a normal force on the rod. It led to the same result as your method using torque.

Likes 1 person
What an intelligent spider . Looks to be some character of a blockbuster sci-fi movie :smile: .

Your follow up question is really nice . I never thought that normal force will be zero .

Do you mind sharing your approach ? Did you conclude that normal force is zero using the same equations I formed in post#8 ? I mean how did you proceed after concluding that normal force is zero .

Last edited:
ehild said:
The torques add if there are separate parts of a system. No need to determine the CM.

The rod has its CM at O. The torque of gravity is zero on it.

ehild

ehild said:
You are right, but we know that the torques of interaction cancel. Also, the torque of the force exerted by a fixed axis is zero.

Torque is due to external forces. It is gravity now. The torque of gravity on the whole system is the sum of the torques of gravity on the parts.

ehild

Thanks a lot. Exactly what I was looking for :smile:

Tanya Sharma said:
What an intelligent spider . Looks to be some character of a blockbuster sci-fi movie :smile: .

A very talented spider, indeed.

I mean how did you proceed after concluding that normal force is zero .

I considered polar coordinates (r, θ) for the spider, with O as the origin. Equation (18) here reduces to $$\ddot{\vec{r}} = (\ddot{r}-\omega^2 r)\hat{r} + 2\omega\dot{r} \hat{\theta}$$ If the normal force is zero, then the only force on the spider in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction is ##mg\cos \theta##.

So, F = ma in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction gives ##mg\cos \theta = m(2\omega \dot{r})##.

Or, ##mg\cos \theta = m(2\omega^2 \frac{dr}{d\theta})##, etc.

TSny said:
Yes. That was how I first approached the problem. I wondered how the spider would need to move along the rod so that it wouldn't exert a normal force on the rod.

Very clever! It looks polar coordinates are the natural ones for you. Anyway, we line in a rotating world :smile:

ehild

Tanya Sharma said:
Did you conclude that normal force is zero using the same equations I formed in post#8 ?

Yes. As you noted in post #8, the net torque on the rod about O is Nr. But the net torque on the rod must be zero since the rod has no angular acceleration.

ehild said:
It looks polar coordinates are the natural ones for you.
ehild

I agree . TSny relishes polar coordinates :smile: .

TSny said:
I considered polar coordinates (r, θ) for the spider, with O as the origin. Equation (18) here reduces to $$\ddot{\vec{r}} = (\ddot{r}-\omega^2 r)\hat{r} + 2\omega\dot{r} \hat{\theta}$$ If the normal force is zero, then the only force on the spider in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction is ##mg\cos \theta##.

So, F = ma in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction gives ##mg\cos \theta = m(2\omega \dot{r})##.

Or, ##mg\cos \theta = m(2\omega^2 \frac{dr}{d\theta})##, etc.

Beautifully done .

Thank you for teaching me an alternative way of approaching the problem .

Using the ##\hat{r}## component of $$\ddot{\vec{r}} = (\ddot{r}-\omega^2 r)\hat{r} + 2\omega\dot{r} \hat{\theta}$$ you can determine the radial force that the spider must exert on the rod as a function of θ or t.

Thank you . It's really nice to learn better ways to approach a problem.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Spider on the Rod Problem"?

The "Spider on the Rod Problem" is a physics thought experiment that involves a spider crawling along a horizontal rod, and the rod suddenly rotating about its axis. The goal is to determine what happens to the spider's position and velocity as the rod rotates.

2. How is conservation of angular momentum applied to this problem?

Conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In this problem, the spider and rod system can be treated as a closed system, and the application of conservation of angular momentum allows us to predict the motion of the spider as the rod rotates.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step solution to the "Spider on the Rod Problem"?

Yes, the first step is to define the initial conditions of the system, including the position and velocity of the spider and the angular velocity of the rod. Next, we can use the conservation of angular momentum equation to determine the final angular velocity of the system. From there, we can use the equations of motion to calculate the final position and velocity of the spider. Finally, we can compare the results to the initial conditions to determine the effects of the rod's rotation on the spider.

4. What assumptions are made in solving this problem?

Some common assumptions made in solving the "Spider on the Rod Problem" include treating the system as a closed system, neglecting air resistance, and assuming a uniform distribution of mass along the rod. Additionally, the spider is often assumed to be a point mass and the rotation of the rod is considered to be a pure rotation.

5. How is this problem relevant to real-world applications?

The "Spider on the Rod Problem" is a simplified version of a more general physics concept known as the "conservation of angular momentum". This concept has many real-world applications, including the motion of spinning objects, the behavior of rotating planets, and the movement of objects in orbit. Understanding and applying the principles of conservation of angular momentum can help us make predictions and solve problems in a variety of fields, including engineering and astrophysics.