Currently Active Users: Spiders on PF

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, there are spiders listed under "Currently Active Users" on this site, but they are just your imagination. The sisterhood is slowly taking over PF and spiders occasionally frequent this site to eat the cockroaches and various bugs that show up at this site. They also turn on us if we don't pay them homage.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
What's with the "spiders" listed under "Currently Active Users"?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no spiders.It's just your imagination.Too many horror movies,and especially "Arachnophobia"

Daniel.

I think this is what's being referred to

From the Bottom of the Main Page said:
Currently Active Users: 630 (60 members and 570 guests and 0 spiders)

Andromeda321 said:
I think this is what's being referred to

I know what he is talking about, just not sure what he is asking :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I know what he is talking about, just not sure what he is asking :smile:
Who are they? What does it mean to be a spider, as opposed to being a guest or member? BTW, I was a she the last time I checked. :tongue2:
Oh, I guess I should have asked what they are. Nevermind. I don't understand why they're listed under active users, but oh well. I just thought it was strange.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Who are they? What does it mean to be a spider, as opposed to being a guest or member? BTW, I was a she the last time I checked. :tongue2:

Moi had the same problem,which was intesively under debate and eventually clarified here

Daniel.

honestrosewater said:
Spiders slurp; guests don't.

honestrosewater said:
BTW, I was a she the last time I checked. :tongue2:
Thoughts such as "you are not alone", and "it only happens to the nicest people" spring to mind. :smile:

Nereid said:
Thoughts such as "you are not alone", and "it only happens to the nicest people" spring to mind. :smile:

Yes, and the sisterhood is slowly taking over PF. :biggrin:

Spiders occasionally frequent this site to eat the cockroaches and various bugs that show up at this site. They also will turn on us if we don't pay them homage (remember Shelob from the LoTR...), and you don't want them to attack :frown:.

How funny, this morning there was a spider on my keyboard...now I run across this thread.

hypatia said:
How funny, this morning there was a spider on my keyboard...now I run across this thread.
I like your name- I was going to write a movie about her once- someone should- very sad story.

I don't see any spiders...where are the spiders...yooohooo !

What I do see is that right now there are two members online that are probably within a couple of miles radius of where I am. Maybe I should think up a different username and see if the kind magicians will perform a name change operation for me.

Moonbear said:
Yes, and the sisterhood is slowly taking over PF. :biggrin:
Shh... keep it on the DL. :wink:

honestrosewater said:
I like your name- I was going to write a movie about her once- someone should- very sad story.

it would be odd, the non-christians are the civilized folk, the scholars, poets, mathematicians
and the bad guys are the christians----they are the brutal, the bigoted, the murderous, the uneducated mob etc.

so she and the governor of Alexandria (the prefect Orestes) were having a love affair? and this scumbag christian Bishop incited a mob against her and they killed her bit by bit in the street, scraping off her flesh with sharp clamshells.

and she never offended anybody as far as I know!
she was just a mathematician who proved some theorems about conic sections or some kind of curves

well I don't know if it is a sad story or not. it is a story about religious fanaticism in the Middle East

but it is also a story about the civilized greek-speaking society of Alexandria when? circa 400? and those people measured the circumference of the Earth and the distance to the moon and preserved poetry from 800 years previous like sappho and they had a fairly accurate astronomy and so on. She was just one of a number of cool people.

the fact that she was a woman is accidental

the fact that she died in a mobscene at the hands of christian fanatics is accidental

what remains is the high level of culture and civilization she was a part of

Gokul43201 said:
I don't see any spiders...where are the spiders...yooohooo !

The place was completely infested with slurping spiders a week or two ago. Maybe they only come out at night, or when we start to sober up? :biggrin:

What I do see is that right now there are two members online that are probably within a couple of miles radius of where I am. Maybe I should think up a different username and see if the kind magicians will perform a name change operation for me.

Uh oh! Now you're in trouble! Maybe they should transform you into your alter ego, for3to0won. As long as they aren't your students, you're probably safe for a while longer. Might want to check that the lock on your office door works. :biggrin:

marcus, not quite. I think Socrates Scholasticus' account is among the most reliable.
You don't know if this is a sad story or not? What would you consider to be a sad story?

honestrosewater said:
marcus, not quite. I think Socrates Scholasticus' account is among the most reliable.
You don't know if this is a sad story or not? What would you consider to be a sad story?

Yes, it was probably her pagan neoplatonist influence, rather than any scandalous high-jinks, that led to her murder by the christian mob. What gets me is that Bishop Cyril, who was more involved in this than the church father let's on, was later canonized by the church. Saint Cyril, forsooth! Back when I was a Catholic I read an article by some bumptious churchman who said that all of the saints were really nice people. I always wanted to ask him about Cyril.

In math she wrote commentaries, rather than doing original research, but the subjects of her comentaries show her great mathematical taste: Diaphantus' arithmetic and Appolonius' Conics. Precisely the works that underlay the early modern development of algebra and calculus.

honestrosewater said:

I'm just wondering if it's the "hypatia", from PF2. If so, where've you been?

Mentat said:
I'm just wondering if it's the "hypatia", from PF2. If so, where've you been?

Yep its me, I had a house fire a year ago, lost most of my material goods. The most importaint things, my pets and myself are ok. I just got my new PC...and jumped back on line!

I have to admit,it's long way from spiders to Socrates,Bishop Cyril and Hypatia,the maths girl...:smile:

Daniel.

No further, surely, than Turing to early embryo development, earthquakes, 1/f noise, non-equilibrium thermodynamics, and chaos?

Especially chaos...The mother and father of all science...

Daniel.

Nereid said:
No further, surely, than Turing to early embryo development, earthquakes, 1/f noise, non-equilibrium thermodynamics, and chaos?

Wait a sec... where was this? I've got to see a thread that random...

AARGH, the spiders are back!

Wow, 377!?- that's a lot of spiders.

True;i think these spiders are the the silent members of this forum.It would be really interesting if one of them posted a message...:wink:

Daniel.

honestrosewater said:
Wow, 377!?- that's a lot of spiders.

Yeah,we could make "Archnophobia 2"... :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
True;i think these spiders are the the silent members of this forum.It would be really interesting if one of them posted a message...:wink:

Daniel.
Great, now I'm tempted to open a new account- SlurrrpingSpider- and scare Moonbear. But I won't. Probably not.
What would a spider say anyway?

"I'd like to tickle you all"...:tongue2:

That would be a pervy spider...

Daniel.

Slurpy perversions..some say yummy to that, I suppose..:grumpy:

dextercioby said:
"I'd like to tickle you all"...:tongue2:

That would be a pervy spider...

Daniel.
Okay, I guess you should know. :biggrin:

Maybe the spiders are here for Greg's birthday party.

honestrosewater said:
Great, now I'm tempted to open a new account- SlurrrpingSpider- and scare Moonbear. But I won't. Probably not.
What would a spider say anyway?

Thanks, and I love you too. :grumpy:

What would they say? They're talking all the time, I can hear them, can't you?

*Shhhhllluuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrp!*