Understanding Spillage vs. Mach Number

In summary, to plot spillage vs. Mach number at different fuel flow rates, you need to subtract the mass capture of air at Mach=.8 (full mass capture) from the mass capture of air at the other Mach numbers for each corresponding fuel flow rate.
roldy
Could someone help me clear my understanding of spillage? I need to plot spillage vs. Mach number at for different fuel flow rates. It's defined in this problem that full mass capture is when Mach=0.8, fuel flow rate=.2506 kg/s.

The other Mach number's are based on the other fuel flow rates of .1, .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, .7 kg/s.
Spillage=[tex]\dot{m}_{\text{fuel, full mass capture}} - \dot{m}_{air}[/tex]

My understanding:
Take the mass capture of air at Mach=.8 for on design and subtract off the mass capture of air for all other Mach number's.

Is my understanding correct? When I plot the points for the different fuel flow rates, should I expect to see one point where spillage=0 (where Mach=.8 and fuel flow rate=.2506 kg/s)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, your understanding is correct. When you plot the points for the different fuel flow rates, you should expect to see one point where spillage=0 (where Mach=.8 and fuel flow rate=.2506 kg/s). The other points should show the difference between the mass capture of air at Mach=.8 and the mass capture of air at the other Mach numbers.

1. What is spillage in terms of Mach number?

Spillage refers to the loss of airflow efficiency in a supersonic engine due to the expansion of air beyond the engine's exhaust nozzle. This can occur when the engine is operating at a higher Mach number than it is designed for, resulting in a decrease in thrust and overall engine performance.

2. How does Mach number affect spillage?

The higher the Mach number, the greater the potential for spillage. This is because as the Mach number increases, the air flowing through the engine's nozzle expands at a faster rate, leading to a larger area of low pressure and a greater loss of thrust due to spillage.

3. What are the consequences of excessive spillage at high Mach numbers?

Excessive spillage can result in a decrease in engine performance and efficiency, as well as increased fuel consumption. It can also cause damage to the engine and potentially lead to engine failure.

4. How can spillage be minimized at high Mach numbers?

One way to minimize spillage is by designing the engine's nozzle to accommodate higher Mach numbers. This can include using variable geometry nozzles or other methods to control the expansion of air and reduce spillage.

5. What other factors can influence spillage at high Mach numbers?

In addition to the design of the engine and its nozzle, other factors such as altitude, air temperature, and engine thrust settings can also impact spillage at high Mach numbers. These variables should be carefully considered during engine design and operation to minimize the effects of spillage.