Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin-0 antiparticle

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    I've heard that photon and antiphoton is the same thing. Is this true for all of those spin-0 particles? I'm so curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The photon is spin 1

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The Standard Model Higgs is its own antiparticle. Gluons carry color charge. An 'anti-gluon' is another gluon, but with a different color. In fact, gluons carry two color charges. For example a gluon might be (blue, anti-red). Its antiparticle would be (red, anti-blue).

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4
    Thanks everyone

@Penguin: my fault

6. Dec 30, 2011 #5
    Is assigning a color (or two colors) to a gluon a convenience? Don't gluons carry one of the 8 generator matrices of SU(3)?

7. Dec 30, 2011 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The indices on the SU(3) generators are color, so each 3x3 matrix naturally has a color and anticolor assigned to it.

8. Dec 30, 2011 #7
    From the 9 possible color-anticolor mixtures, one can construct a singlet "colorless" state that does not interact with the others. That is why gluons have 8 and not 9 color states.

Spin is a sort of built-in angular momentum, angular momentum carried by field geometry. You can see photon spin in circular polarization.

Spin-0 particles need not be their antiparticles. Supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model predict charged Higgs particles, and the positive and negative ones are each other's antiparticles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook