1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin 1/2 system

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the energy levels of a 2-spin 1/2 system with spinoperators S1 and S2 in an external magnetic field. The hamiltonian is of the form,

H= A ( 1-[tex]\frac{2S_{1}}{h}[/tex] . [tex]\frac{2 S_{2}}{h}[/tex] )+ [tex]\frac{\mu B}{h}[/tex](S[tex]_{1,z}[/tex]+S[tex]_{2,z}[/tex])

The h is a h-bar, constants A, B, and S1 and S2 the spin operators

2. Relevant equations

I have to solve the equation H l[tex]\psi[/tex]> = El[tex]\psi[/tex]>

3. The attempt at a solution

The spin system is has a basis, l[tex]\uparrow\uparrow>,\left| \uparrow\downarrow>,\left|\downarrow\uparrow>,\left|\downarrow\downarrow>[/tex]

so any [tex]\left| \psi[/tex]> is a linear combination of the basis above, but i don't know how i can calculate the eigenvalues of the above equation. I have a feeling i have to use the Pauli matrices but iam not sure. Anyone has an idea? It should be a 3 level system...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2
    I know the matrices S1 and S2 commute, is also know that S1,z + S2,z = S,z

couldn't that help?
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not try expanding your wavefunction into the spin basis and then using that to calculate [tex]H|\psi\rangle[/tex]? Under what circumstances is your result a constant multiple of [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?