Spin 1/2 - Is √3/2ħ or √¾ħ Correct?

In summary, "spin 1/2" refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, with two possible values of +1/2 or -1/2. The correct value for spin 1/2 is √¾ħ, which represents the maximum component of angular momentum that can be measured for a particle. This value is important in quantum mechanics as it is a fundamental constant that describes the behavior of quantum systems. Spin 1/2 is also crucial in determining the behavior and interactions of particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, making it an important concept in quantum mechanics.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi,
I was looking at the wikipedia article for spin 1/2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-½ and it stated that √(½(½+1))ħ=√3/2ħ. According to my math it is √¾ħ. Is this just a typo or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful, what you wrote is ## \sqrt{\frac 3 4 }\hbar ## and what the wiki page wrote is ## \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \hbar ##. They're the same!

Likes Isaac0427
Shyan said:
Be careful, what you wrote is ## \sqrt{\frac 3 4 }\hbar ## and what the wiki page wrote is ## \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \hbar ##. They're the same!
Ah I see. I went off initial simplification, not realizing that they are the same.

1. What does "spin 1/2" mean?

"Spin 1/2" refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a quantum mechanical property that cannot be visualized in classical terms. It can take on two possible values: +1/2 or -1/2.

2. Is √3/2ħ or √¾ħ the correct value for spin 1/2?

The correct value for spin 1/2 is √¾ħ. This is known as the spin quantum number and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics.

3. What does the √¾ħ value represent?

The √¾ħ value represents the maximum component of angular momentum that can be measured for a particle with spin 1/2. It is a fundamental constant that helps to describe the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How is spin 1/2 related to the spin of an electron?

The spin of an electron is a specific example of spin 1/2. It is a fundamental property of electrons that plays a crucial role in their behavior and interactions with other particles.

5. Why is spin 1/2 important in quantum mechanics?

Spin 1/2 is important in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental property of all particles, including electrons, protons, and neutrons. It plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of these particles, and it is used to classify and describe various quantum states and systems.