Total Spin of Two Particles w/ Spin 1

In summary, the total spin of a system of two particles with spin 1 and no interaction can be either 0, 1, or 2. However, if the particles are massless and have only two possible spin states (+ or - 1), the system can only have spin magnitudes of 0 or 2.
Usaf Moji
I have a noobish question on spin addition. If I have a system of two particles, each with spin 1, and the spins don't interact, what is the total spin of the system (assuming zero orbital angular momentum)? Is the total spin just 2?

(I hope that my reach hasn't exceeded my grasp here.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The total spin (I assume you mean the quantum number that corresponds to the magnitude of the spin angular momentum, without regard to the direction) can be either 0 or 1 or 2.

Last edited:
Thanks jtbell, I should have specified that the particles are massless so that each has only two possible spin states (+ or - 1). On this basis, I would imagine that the system can only have two possible spin magnitudes, 0 or 2 (and not 1). Is this correct?

1. What is the total spin of two particles with spin 1?

The total spin of two particles with spin 1 is 2. This means that the two particles have a combined angular momentum of 2 units.

2. How is the total spin of two particles with spin 1 calculated?

The total spin of two particles with spin 1 is calculated by adding the individual spins of the two particles together. In this case, 1 + 1 = 2.

3. What is the physical significance of the total spin of two particles with spin 1?

The total spin of two particles with spin 1 is a fundamental property of the system that can determine its behavior under certain conditions. It also plays a role in determining the energy levels and interactions of the particles.

4. Can the total spin of two particles with spin 1 change?

No, the total spin of two particles with spin 1 is a conserved quantity and cannot change. This means that the total spin will remain the same even as the individual spins of the particles may change.

5. How does the total spin of two particles with spin 1 affect their quantum state?

The total spin of two particles with spin 1 affects their quantum state by determining the possible values of their angular momentum and the probability of finding them in different states. This can also affect the symmetry and behavior of the particles in certain situations.