Is Spin Related to Angular Momentum in Elementary Particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of spin and orbital angular momentum in relation to the azimuthal quantum number, l. It is explained that spin is an intrinsic property of particles, while orbital angular momentum is related to the motion of particles. It is noted that only spin can have half-integer values, while orbital angular momentum is always integer valued. The reason for this is explained to be due to the properties of the wave function in a rotationally symmetric potential. The conversation also mentions the Laplace-Beltrami operator and recommends further reading on the topic.
Ahmad Kishki
ok i just learned that spin comes up when l (azimuthal quantum number) is half integer but then my book says that each elementary particle has a specific and immutable value of spin. Ok now does this mean that l (azimuth quantum number) takes two values at once - One value corresponding to spin and another to angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two different concepts here, the l is related to the orbital angular momentum. Spin is something else, it is an intrinsic angular momentum of the particle itself, e.g., of an electron. The orbital angular momentum will combine with the intrinsic spin of the particle to form a total angular momentum.

As far as we have observed, there are elementary particles with spin 0, 1/2, and 1.

Orodruin said:
There are two different concepts here, the l is related to the orbital angular momentum. Spin is something else, it is an intrinsic angular momentum of the particle itself, e.g., of an electron. The orbital angular momentum will combine with the intrinsic spin of the particle to form a total angular momentum.

As far as we have observed, there are elementary particles with spin 0, 1/2, and 1.

Ok i am getting it, but could you expand on this a little bit? So far the math i saw lead to "extrinsic" angular momentum implied spin since m when it was half integer lead to a weird result.

You never imply half integer spins exist just from the mathematics. However, the mathematics that apply to orbital angular momentum turns out to also allow representations with half integer angular momentum (although not orbital). Now, in Nature, it just so happens that there are objects that can be described by these half integer angular momentum representations.

Orodruin said:
You never imply half integer spins exist just from the mathematics. However, the mathematics that apply to orbital angular momentum turns out to also allow representations with half integer angular momentum (although not orbital). Now, in Nature, it just so happens that there are objects that can be described by these half integer angular momentum representations.

Oh ok, so they are unrelated mathematically. But what about those half integer values of l - we discard them for orbital angular momentum?

Total angular momentum, represented by J, is the vector sum of the spin angular momentum, represented by S, and orbital angular momentum, represented by L. Only spin can have half-integer values (integer values are also possible). Orbital angular momentum is always integer valued. If the spin angular momentum is half-integer, then the total angular momentum will also be half-integer. I think extrinsic angular momentum means the same thing as orbital angular momentum, which is a much more standard name.

When we say spin is 1/2, what we mean maximum projection of spin along any direction is 1/2 (in units of hbar), since spin is a vector[1] quantity with direction and magnitude. Quantum mechanics is weird and the projection of spin is only allowed to take on discrete values separated by units of hbar, so in the case of spin 1/2, the values of spin projection are either 1/2 or -1/2, with nothing in between.

[1] More accurately, it is a spinor, which is a kind of vector in the linear algebra sense, but somewhat different from a vector in the geometric sense.

No, it is the same mathematics, it is just that the half integer values do not appear for orbital angular momentum. This has to do with orbital angular momentum being based on the properties of a wave function in a rotationally symmetric potential.

Orodruin said:
No, it is the same mathematics, it is just that the half integer values do not appear for orbital angular momentum. This has to do with orbital angular momentum being based on the properties of a wave function in a rotationally symmetric potential.

Oh seems like i was confused since my book showed the half integer values through algebraic means. Now it makes sense. Thank you

If you are interested in more detail why half-integer values of orbital angular momentum are not possible, have a look at the spherical harmonics chapter in Sakurai. He gives several arguments.

kith said:
If you are interested in more detail why half-integer values of orbital momentum are not possible, have a look at the spherical harmonics chapter in Sakurai. He gives several arguments.

The reason i had was because probability can not be multivariable, but i sure will check sakurai. Thank you.

There's a simple explanation as to why the angular momentum eingenvalues need to be positive integers. It's a restatement of the last argument mentioned by Sakurai (but not expanded on, because his maths is a little sketchy): the Laplace-Beltrami operator on S2 is self-adjoint iff l is integer and non-negative. A proof of this appears in several books, see for example G. Teschl's "Mathematical Methods for Quantum Mechanics".

dextercioby said:
There's a simple explanation as to why the angular momentum eingenvalues need to be positive integers. It's a restatement of the last argument mentioned by Sakurai (but not expanded on, because his maths is a little sketchy): the Laplace-Beltrami operator on S2 is self-adjoint iff l is integer and non-negative. A proof of this appears in several books, see for example G. Teschl's "Mathematical Methods for Quantum Mechanics".

Oh well, i will go over this in a second reading of qm - i am currently self studying from griffiths and noticed the weaknesses of the book in angular momentum, i will remedy this asap from shankar and sakurai after i am done till the applications part.

1. What is spin in terms of angular momentum?

Spin is a type of intrinsic angular momentum possessed by elementary particles, such as electrons and protons. It is a fundamental property of particles and cannot be fully explained by classical physics.

2. How is spin different from orbital angular momentum?

Spin and orbital angular momentum are both forms of angular momentum, but they differ in their origin. Orbital angular momentum is associated with the motion of a particle around an axis, while spin is an intrinsic property of the particle itself.

3. Is spin conserved in physical processes?

Yes, spin is conserved in physical processes, just like other forms of angular momentum. This means that the total spin of a system remains constant, even if individual particles within the system change their spin values.

4. Can spin be observed directly?

No, spin cannot be observed directly as it is a quantum property. However, its effects can be observed through experiments, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment, which showed that particles have discrete spin values.

5. How is spin used in applications?

Spin has various applications in fields such as quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and spintronics. It is also used in fundamental research to study the properties of particles and their interactions.