Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin and quantum states

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    When we speak about wave function of an electron, we write it as ψ[itex]_{n,σ}[/itex] (x,ζ) so that we specify here the orbital quantum number by n and spin quantum number by σ. σ can take two values according to spin up or down. x is space position and ζ has two discrete values related to spin up and down.
    Now my question:
    Is it possible to have σ related to spin up and ζ related to spin down simultaneously? In other words are σ and ζ independent (like n and x that are independent)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not correct, there's only a continuous (space, momentum, space-time, momentum-time) functional dependence of the electron/spin σ particle. * The "ζ" should be deleted, the spin character of the wavefunction appears only as a counting label on ψ, just like other labels (total angular momentum, electric charge, parity).

* Mathematically speaking ψ is a mapping from R3 (disregard time) to [itex] \otimes_{\sigma} L^2 (R^3) [/itex], where sigma takes 2s+1 = 2 (s=1/2) values in the Pauli theory and 2(2s+1) =4 (again s=1/2) values in the Dirac theory.

4. Oct 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks Mr/Mis Kurt Lewin
    I agree, but there is such a statement in the book "Nanostructures; Theory and modeling" by C. Delerue & M. Lannoo, chapter1, formula (1.6), that had made me confused.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook