Spin - any book recommendations?

In summary, the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths does a good job of introducing the concept of spin, but the coverage on spin is not as clear as the rest of the book. Can anyone recommend me another source of information on the concept of spin? Some introductory text on the subject would be a good place to start.
If your aim is to learn by examples and problems, you might want to take a look at Zettili.

Physics news on Phys.org
ansgar said:
why should I waste my valuable time to preach from the R-QM textbooks? I have already said that intrinsic angular momentum (called spin) is a manifestation due to Lorentz Symmetry: Which we have pretty good proofs that this symmetry is realized in nature.

All particles have intrinsic angular momentum; fermions have 1/2, i.e. transform under the irreducible representation of the Lorentz group. Scalars have 0, i.e. transforms as singlets. Vectors are particles that transforms as four-vectors, tensor-2 particles are particles that transforms as rank-2 tensors etc etc.

So compact: Intrinsic Angular momentum / spin is a symmetry manifestation.

Analogy: electric charge is a symmetry manifestation of the gauge transformations in electromagnetism.

Physics is about symmetries, once you know the symmetries in nature, we can deduce the dymanics.

As far as I know, you don't need to include the special relativity into quantum mechanics in order to to "derive" the concept of spin. You can do that very well with a Newtonian "background".

Fredrik said:
Spin is not a relativistic property. The existence of the spin operators can be derived from the assumption that space is rotationally invariant.

I think you're wrong. Spin cannot be "derived" (it's rather <introduced>) without the assumption of <relativity>, be it special/Minkowski or Galilean.

bigubau said:
I think you're wrong. Spin cannot be "derived" (it's rather <introduced>) without the assumption of <relativity>, be it special/Minkowski or Galilean.
You can take the existence of the spin operators to be an axiom if you prefer, but that doesn't make what I said wrong. What is it that you think I'm wrong about?

I didn't mention <axioms> in any place. I just asserted that there's no discussion of spin, unless one brings in relativity in quantum mechanics. So i'd say that spin is a relativistic property (flat spacetime), just like mass.

OK, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I get it now. You can certainly derive the existence of spin from the axiom I used. If we replace the rotation group in my argument with the Galilei group (i.e. if we consider the principles of QM combined with Galilean relativity), we get a lot more, including momentum, energy and mass operators, and the Schrödinger equation.