Showing that S^2 and Sz Commute with the System Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discussed a system with two spins and a B-field, where the Hamiltonian was given by H = m S1 . S2 + c B.S. The goal was to show that S^2 and Sz commute with the Hamiltonian. The attempt at a solution involved simplifying S1.S2 and proving that [H,S^2]=[S^2,H] and [H,Sz]=[Sz,H] hold true.
bon

Homework Statement

A system with two spins of magnitude 1/2 have spin operators S1 and S2 and total spin S = S1 + S2

B is a B-field in the z direction (0,0,B)

The Hamiltonian for the system is given by H = m S1 . S2 + c B.S where m,c are constants.

By writing the Hamiltonian in terms of S, show that S^2 and Sz commute with the hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that S^2 = S1 ^2 + S2 ^2 + 2S1.S2

so S1.S2 can be written as 1/2 (S^2 - S1 ^2 - S2 ^2)

But how do i simplify this?

My guess is that I can replace each of S1^2 and S2 ^2 with 3/4..but is this right? why is it justified? if not, what do i do?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to simplify. You just have to show that [H,S^2]=[S^2,H] and same for Sz. You should really post this in advanced physics.

1. What does it mean for S^2 and Sz to commute with the system Hamiltonian?

When two operators commute with each other, it means that their order of application does not matter. In the context of quantum mechanics, this means that measuring the system's spin squared (S^2) and its z-component of spin (Sz) will not affect the measurement of the system's energy, which is described by the system Hamiltonian.

2. Why is it important to show that S^2 and Sz commute with the system Hamiltonian?

This is important because it allows us to simultaneously measure the spin and energy of a quantum system. This is known as a conserved quantity, as the values of spin and energy will remain constant over time. It also allows us to accurately predict the behavior of the system, making it a useful tool in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the commutator of two operators calculated?

The commutator of two operators A and B is calculated by taking the difference of their product in two different orders. In mathematical notation, this can be written as [A,B] = AB - BA.

4. Can S^2 and Sz commute with the system Hamiltonian for all quantum systems?

No, this is not always the case. It depends on the specific system and its properties. In some cases, the operators may commute for certain values of the system's parameters, but not for others. It is important to analyze each system individually to determine if the operators commute with the system Hamiltonian.

5. How is the commutativity of S^2 and Sz with the system Hamiltonian experimentally verified?

The commutativity of operators can be experimentally verified through the use of quantum state tomography. This involves preparing the system in a known state, measuring the spin and energy values, and then repeating the process for different orders of the operators. If the results are consistent, it can be concluded that the operators commute with the system Hamiltonian.