1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin dynamics and Larmor precession

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an electron with spin, which should be in a homogenous magnetic field B=B0ez. This situation is described by the Hamiltonian of the shape [itex]\hat{H}=g\frac{\mu_B}{\hbar}\textbf{BS}[/itex].

Consider now the time dependent state [itex]|\psi(t)>[/itex] of the electron in spin space. The spatial structure of [itex]|\psi(t)>[/itex] is not considered here at all!

(a) Show that the expectation values of the spin operators satisfy the equations of motion:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}<S_x>=-\omega_0<S_y>[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}<S_y>=\omega_0<S_x>[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}<S_z>=0[/itex].

What is the value of [itex]\omega_0[/itex]?

(b) Show that because of the equations of motion, the expectation value of the spin rotates in the xy-Plane (~Larmor precession)

2. Relevant equations

When looking up the Larmor precession I found this: [itex]\omega=\gamma\cdot|B|=\frac{gq}{2m}\cdot|B|[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is the formula I gave in (2) already the solution for [itex]\omega_0[/itex]? Being naive I would think that the rotation cannot happen in the z-Direction, as the temporal derivative of the z-Component of the spin operator is 0. Can that be?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?