Understanding Spin: A Guide to Particles & Annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin, particularly in relation to spin ##1/2## particles and their combinations. The speaker is confused about how spin is measured and how it physically works, as well as the concept of singlet and triplet states. The expert explains that spin can be described by eigenstates of the total spin operator and that the magnitude of spin must be conserved. They also mention the relationship between spin and the laws of physics being the same in all directions.
Silviu
Hello! I am a bit confused about the idea of spin. Let's say we have spin ##1/2## particles. This means that the spin along a random axis is ##\pm 1/2##, right while the values of the particle spin (i.e. the module) is actually ##\sqrt{1/2(1+1/2)}##? Also I am a bit confused about combining multiple particles. If you have 2 spin ##1/2## particles, you obtain a triplet of spin ##1## or a singlet of spin ##0##. I understand the math behind, but how does it physically work? You don't know the initial directions of the spins. Let's say one has ##1/2## along the z axis while the other has ##1/2## along the x-axis (as the result of a measurement). Does it mean that if i make a random measurement after, I can get +1, -1 or 0 along any axis? And what exactly do I measure i.e. how can I measure the combined spin of both at once? And based on what do I get a singlet or a triplet? Also when we have particle-antiparticle annihilation, let say ##e^+e^-##, they have to be in the triplet case, so that the spin is conserved, i.e. photon with spin one can be created. I am confused about this, too, as you don't know the initial direction of the spin of the 2 fermions, neither of the outgoing photon, so on what direction do you want this conservation to take place?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try watching these videos:

Veritaseum's:

Susskind:

Likes Dadface
Silviu said:
If you have 2 spin ##1/2## particles, you obtain a triplet of spin ##1## or a singlet of spin ##0##.
These would correspond to the eigenstates of the total spin operator ##\hat{\mathbf{J}}## and one projection operator, e.g., ##\hat{J}_z##, but the two particles are not necessarily in such an eigenstate (although their state can be written as a superposition of these eigenstates).

Silviu said:
I understand the math behind, but how does it physically work? You don't know the initial directions of the spins. Let's say one has ##1/2## along the z axis while the other has ##1/2## along the x-axis (as the result of a measurement). Does it mean that if i make a random measurement after, I can get +1, -1 or 0 along any axis?
Being in ##s_x = +1/2## is the same as a superposition of ##s_z = +1/2## and ##s_z = -1/2##, so the total spin state will look like (choosing z as the projection axis)
$$
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ | \uparrow \uparrow \rangle + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \right]
$$
From that, you can calculate the probability of measuring the different states. (You will find, for instance, that the probabilities of measuring ##S_z = -1## or ##S_x = -1## are 0).

Silviu said:
And what exactly do I measure i.e. how can I measure the combined spin of both at once?
I don't know how to perform a direct measurement, but if the two particles are electrons in a single atom, one can look at transitions to determine the state.

Silviu said:
And based on what do I get a singlet or a triplet?
I don't understand what you are asking for here.

Silviu said:
Also when we have particle-antiparticle annihilation, let say ##e^+e^-##, they have to be in the triplet case, so that the spin is conserved, i.e. photon with spin one can be created. I am confused about this, too, as you don't know the initial direction of the spin of the 2 fermions, neither of the outgoing photon, so on what direction do you want this conservation to take place?
The magnitude of the spin has to be conserved, which explains the triplet state.

Likes Spinnor
For an example of angular momentum addition and the use of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients, you can look at the Zeeman Effect.

DrClaude said:
These would correspond to the eigenstates of the total spin operator ##\hat{\mathbf{J}}## and one projection operator, e.g., ##\hat{J}_z##, but the two particles are not necessarily in such an eigenstate (although their state can be written as a superposition of these eigenstates).Being in ##s_x = +1/2## is the same as a superposition of ##s_z = +1/2## and ##s_z = -1/2##, so the total spin state will look like (choosing z as the projection axis)
$$
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ | \uparrow \uparrow \rangle + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \right]
$$
From that, you can calculate the probability of measuring the different states. (You will find, for instance, that the probabilities of measuring ##S_z = -1## or ##S_x = -1## are 0).I don't know how to perform a direct measurement, but if the two particles are electrons in a single atom, one can look at transitions to determine the state.I don't understand what you are asking for here.The magnitude of the spin has to be conserved, which explains the triplet state.
Thank you for this. I am not sure I understand the last part. The magnitude of the spin along which axis?

Silviu said:
Thank you for this. I am not sure I understand the last part. The magnitude of the spin along which axis?

The magnitude of the spin is ##S = \sqrt{(S_x)^2 + (S_y)^2 + (S_z)^2}##. In quantum mechanics, this magnitude always is equal to [itex]\sqrt{s(s+1)} \hbar[/itex] where ##s## has possible values: ##0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, 5/2,...##

Likes vanhees71
Why does the magnitude of the spin have to be preserved? What if the parameters for measurement change instead? Use the parameters of the world of the sap. Not the parameters of the large laws. Ie. travel speed, time change etc.

Stephanie Dillon said:
Why does the magnitude of the spin have to be preserved? What if the parameters for measurement change instead? Use the parameters of the world of the sap. Not the parameters of the large laws. Ie. travel speed, time change etc.

Can you clarify what you mean here? World of the “sap”?

Stephanie Dillon said:

One word Noether:
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...-the-course-of-physics-but-couldnt-get-a-job/

Its related to the laws of physics being the same is all directions. This leads to angular momentum being conserved - QM spin, without going into the details (see chapter 7 Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development - but its advanced) is a kind of quantized angular momentum.

I do not understand what you mean by parameters of the measurement changing etc - if the above doesn't answer you query then can you elaborate?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

1. What is spin in particle physics?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property that cannot be directly observed, but is inferred from the behavior of particles in experiments.

2. How is spin measured?

Spin is measured in units of multiples of the reduced Planck constant, known as h-bar. The spin of a particle is determined by its quantum numbers, which can be measured through experiments such as scattering or spectroscopy.

3. What is the significance of spin in particle interactions?

Spin plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in interactions. Particles with half-integer spin, known as fermions, follow the Pauli exclusion principle and exhibit properties such as anti-symmetry. Particles with integer spin, known as bosons, do not follow this principle and can occupy the same quantum state.

4. How does spin relate to the concept of annihilation?

In particle physics, annihilation refers to the process of a particle and its corresponding antiparticle colliding and producing energy in the form of photons or other particles. The spin of the particles involved in the annihilation process must be conserved, meaning that the total spin before and after the interaction must be the same.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding spin in particle physics?

Understanding spin is essential in many areas of modern technology, including medical imaging techniques such as MRI, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies. It also plays a critical role in the study of the fundamental laws of nature and the structure of matter.