Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Hamiltonian

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Does any willing to explain in detail from basics about what is this 'Spin Hamiltonian'.??
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you are asking. There are many types of spin-systems and quite a few different hamiltonians that can be used to model them.
    However, the simplest Hamiltonian is just
    [itex]H=\frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega \sigma_z[/itex]
    which is valid for a single spin 1/2 system with a level separation of [itex]\hbar \omega[/itex] in a diagonal basis.
    Is this the hamiltonian you are asking about?

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rajini, at the very least you can write down the Hamiltonian, so there is no confusion about that. Is this the spin-spin (Heisenberg) Hamiltonian, or the interaction between a spin S and an applied field B, or something else?

5. Jan 6, 2008 #4
    Yes..I work with Mössbauer spectroscopy...there one can fit the spectra using spin hamiltonians..this help to analyze the spectra (measurement taken with the application of external magnetic field or sometimes without magnetic field)...just to find whether how many spieces are present..whether Fe3+ or Fe2+ or both...i just need to know the theory behind it..yes there are several software to fit..its easy...but i need to know theory..some research papers or some books would be helpful...thanks

6. Jan 6, 2008 #5

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

* Mössbauer Spectroscopy and its Applications, T E Cranshaw, B W Dale, G O Longworth and C E Johnson, (Cambridge Univ. Press: Cambridge) 1985
    * Mössbauer Spectroscopy, D P E Dickson and F J Berry, (Cambridge Univ. Press: Cambridge) 1986
    * The Mössbauer Effect, H Frauenfelder, (Benjamin: New York) 1962
    * Principles of Mössbauer Spectroscopy, T C Gibb, (Chapman and Hall: London) 1977
    * Mössbauer Spectroscopy, N N Greenwood and T C Gibb, (Chapman and Hall: London) 1971
    * Chemical Applications of Mössbauer Spectroscopy, V I Goldanskii and R H Herber ed., (Academic Press Inc: London) 1968
    * Mössbauer Spectroscopy Applied to Inorganic Chemistry Vols. 1-3, G J Long, ed., (Plenum: New York) 1984-1989
    * Mössbauer Spectroscopy Applied to Magnetism and Materials Science Vol. 1, G J Long and F Grandjean, eds., (Plenum: New York) 1993

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?