1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spin homework question - hard.

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm struggling with this question here from my QM class. I have read all my material on Spin (both Griffiths, and a chapter in an Icelandic book). I'we done some problems, but I really have no Idea where to start with this one. It goes something like this:

Two particles have spin 1/2 and are stationary, but their spins interact with this Hamilton operator:

[tex]\hat H = \gamma \hat S_3^{(1)} + \gamma \hat S_3^{(2)} [/tex]

where [tex]\bf{S}^{(j)} [/tex] is the spin operator for particle j, and j=1,2.

As a basis in the state space (hope that's the right word) you can f.x. take [tex]u_s^{(1)}u_r^{(2)}[/tex] where[tex] r,s,=\pm\frac{1}{2}[/tex], and [tex]\hat S_3^{1}u_s^{1}=shu_s^{j}[/tex] and [tex]\hat S_3^{2}u_r^{2}=rhu_r^{j}[/tex]

Questions:
    (i) Find the eigenvalues and eigenvektors of the Hamilton operator.

(ii) How would the result be if we used this Hamilton operator instead:

[tex]\hat H = \gamma \hat S_3^{(1)} + \gamma \hat S_3^{(2)} + \lambda \hat{\underline S}^{(1)}\cdot \lambda \hat{\underline S}^{(2)} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Now here is a quick solution I got from my teacher:

(i)
    Triplet:

[tex]u_{\frac{1}{2}}u_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
    [tex](u_{\frac{1}{2}}u_{-\frac{1}{2}}+u_{-\frac{1}{2}}u_{\frac{1}{2}})\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}[/tex]
    [tex]u_{-\frac{1}{2}}u_{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\underlince{\hat S}^2 = s(s+1)[/tex]

The Eigenvalues:

[tex](\gamma S_3^{(1)}-\gamma S_3^{(2)})u_{\frac{1}{2}}u_{\frac{1}{2}} = \gamma \hbar(s+r)u_{\frac{1}{2}}u_{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
    (the others should follow the same procedure)

(ii)
    Two spin operators:

[tex]\underline{\hat S}^{(1)}, \underline{\hat S}^{(2)}[/tex]

[tex]\underline{\hat S}^{(1)}\cdot \underline{\hat S}^{(2)} = \frac{1}{2}(\underline{\hat S}^{2}-(\underline{\hat S}^{(1)})^2-(\underline{\hat S}^{(1)})^2)[/tex]

[tex]\underline{\hat S} = \underline{\hat S}^{(1)} + \underline{\hat S}^{(2)}
    [/tex]

[tex]\underline{\hat S}}[/tex] has eigenvalue [tex]s(s+1) \hbar ^2, s=0,1[/tex]

Now I almost have no clue on what's going on here.

Now I suppose the part in the Triplet section, is all possible linear combinations of the u vektors. And the eigenvalue can be read from the right side of the formula below. But could anyone care to comment on this? I'm standing on very shaky ground here :) This is the solution my teacher gave us, nobody has a clue what's going on, and were taking the exam tomorrow :)

Thanks in advance for any comments!
    Frímann

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2
    My basic quesion is probably, how do I choose the part in the Triplet section, are those the eigenfunctions? If not then how would I find them?

4. Dec 15, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Well if I am not mistaken for two fermions the eigenstate should be anti symmetrical, i.e singlet and not triplet which is symmetric.

But I myself in a shaky ground... :-)

5. Dec 15, 2009 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

[tex]\underline{\hat S}^{(1)}\cdot \underline{\hat S}^{(2)} = \frac{1}{2}(\underline{\hat S}^{2}-(\underline{\hat S}^{(1)})^2-(\underline{\hat S}^{(1)})^2) = (1/2)[s(s+1) - (3/2)]
    [/tex]

remember

[tex]S_{1}^{2} = S_{2}^{2} = (1/2)[(1/2) + 1][/tex]

6. Dec 15, 2009 #5
    But what if we have [tex]u_{\frac{1}{2}}^1u_{-\frac{1}{2}}^2[/tex]

How do we calculate [tex]\underline{\hat S}^2u_{\frac{1}{2}}^1u_{-\frac{1}{2}}^2[/tex] ?

7. Dec 15, 2009 #6

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

[/QUOTE]

That is a singlet state which has s = 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook