Spin Magnetic Moment: Does an Electron Really Spin?

In summary, my physics teacher said "Besides the orbital moment, an electron has an intrinsic magnetic moment, it is called the spin magnetic moment, But I hasten to add that it is not as though the electron is spinning." However, the spin of the electron is a relativistic effect that drops out of the Dirac equation. It is a very strange quantum mechanical beast that has nothing to do with the electron rotating like a prima ballerina.
Prashasti
Does an electron really spin about its own axis? If not, what does spin magnetic moment imply? My physics teacher said "Besides the orbital moment, an electron has an intrinsic magnetic moment, it is called the spin magnetic moment, But I hasten to add that it is not as though the electron is spinning."

But, in my chemistry textbook, there's an illustration of an electron apparently "spinning" about its own axis. Moreover, the direction of spinning has also been shown.
magnetic-moment-of-electrons.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a historical accident that we use the word "spin" to describe the quantum mechanical property that leads to an electron having a magnetic moment. What's going on actually has nothing to do with rotation about an axis; it's not clear that an electron even has an axis to rotate around.

However, there are many situations where an electron behaves enough like a little rotating ball that we can use that as a model. It's not quite right, but it avoids some very hairy quantum mechanical complications, and it's no more "wrong" than pretending that the Earth is a perfect sphere (it's actually a bit misshapen) when you're thinking about latitude and longitude.

That's what your chemistry textbook is doing.

Likes Prashasti
So, it is an assumption, right?
Thanks.

The spin of the electron is a relativistic effect that drops out of the Dirac equation. It is a very strange quantum mechanical beast that has nothing to do with the electron rotating like a prima ballerina. For example if you rotate the spin by 360 degrees you turn it upside down.

This picture is not an assumption, it is more like a crutch that allows people to come to grips with spin and relate it to something they know from the macroscopic world.

Spin has been observed in countless experiments. Electrons, neutrons and protons all have spin. There are thousands of experimental results that cannot be explained without taking spin into account.

If the electron was actually spinning on its axis, how would we ever know? For a composite object, we look at parts of the object while they revolve around the center of the object. For an object with no parts, what does it mean to spin? The question is not, does an electron spin, but, what exactly does it mean to spin?

If I define spin from basic experience, it is that it continuously evolves into rotated copies of its former self. For an object with perfect rotational symmetry, this condition is trivially satisfied. So I think it's fine to say it is really spinning, as long as you define your terms.

Neutrons and protons have parts, so something more complicated is happening for them. I think the neutron spin must be equal to the total of the spin of the constituent quarks and the orbital angular momentum of the quarks. I think the orbital angular momentum of the quarks is 0 in the ground state, but someone with more particle physics expertise should chime in.

Quarks have spin 1/2, just like the electron. So the effective spin of the proton and the neutron (both also 1/2) are not simply the sum of the 3 quarks' spins

Of course when adding angular momenta, they needn't point in the same direction. Is there a 3/2 spin excited state for a proton?

Edit: a Delta+ particle is an excited proton, with spins aligned, I think. Is that right?

Last edited:

1. What is spin magnetic moment?

Spin magnetic moment is a property of particles, such as electrons, that describes the strength and direction of their magnetic field. It is related to the spin of the particle, which is a fundamental property that determines its intrinsic angular momentum.

2. How is spin magnetic moment different from orbital magnetic moment?

Spin and orbital magnetic moments are both types of magnetic moments, but they arise from different sources. Spin magnetic moment is caused by the spin of a particle, while orbital magnetic moment is caused by the orbital motion of a particle around an axis.

3. Can an electron really spin?

No, electrons do not physically spin like a spinning top. Spin is a quantum mechanical property that cannot be visualized in classical terms. It is better understood as an intrinsic angular momentum of the electron.

4. How is spin magnetic moment measured?

Spin magnetic moment is measured using a technique called electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR). This involves applying a magnetic field to a sample containing electrons and observing how the electrons interact with the field.

5. Why is spin magnetic moment important?

Spin magnetic moment is important because it plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as the behavior of atoms and molecules in magnetic fields. It also has important applications in areas such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).