Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin matrix

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    i am having trouble understanding if the spin matrix S_i (the i th compenent of the spin matrix which is h-bar divided by 2pi times i th pauli spin matrix) is only for spin 1/2 and if it is then what would be the spin matrix for an arbitrary spin?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know how the pauli matrices are derived, I am sure you can figure out how to construct spin matrices for higher spin.

4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    A hint: particles of different spin are closely associated with unitary irreducible representations of the rotation group. There are representations of integer dimensions: 1,2,3,4,... which correspond to spin values 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2,... So, in order to build spin matrices for spin 1 you can build a 3-dimensional irreducible unitary representation of the rotation group. Then 3 Hermitean generators S_i of this representation will be the spin matrices you are interested in.

Eugene.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?