Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin of an electron

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    What does the spin of an electron mean?
    Is it the z component of the spin angular momentum or the spin quantum number?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It means that it has a particular behavior when it goes through an asymmetric magnetic field... "as if" it had a magnetic dipole. The "z-component" is the amount of the dipole along the z-axis (determined by the apparatus).

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    What I wanted to ask is, whenever we refer to the word spin for an electron, which of the following does it mean:
    Spin angular momentum
    z component of spin angular momentum
    Spin quantum number

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Any or all of the above - depending on context.

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

When we say the electron is "spin 1/2" we refer to the quantum number ##s## for the magnitude of the intrinsic angular momentum.

When we say an electron is "spin up" or "spin down" we refer (indirectly) to the quantum number ##m_s## for the z-component of the intrinsic angular momentum (+1/2 or -1/2).

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6
    This is something that confuses me. Are we saying that the electron is literally spinning on its axis, like a spinning top, or the Earth, or is it incorrect for me to think of the electron from a spherical perspective?

8. Sep 27, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No.
    Yes. - at least, it would be inaccurate and possibly misleading to think of an electron as a spinning sphere.

QM has a lot of terms for things that don't make a lot of literal sense. In this case, the word is used because the property being described has similar math to that resulting from rotating charge distributions. But that's just the math. There is no (other) indication that electrons have an uneven charge distribution. Think of it as a nick-name.

9. Sep 27, 2012 #8
    It has very little to do with spin as we know it. It is just a name, so things will be easier if you forget about spin and think of it as something entirely new called quantum spin.

Even Richard Feynman was unable to explain it simply, so I'm not going to try. I'd recommend looking at the Stern-Gerlach experiment, then maybe at the polarization of light.

10. Oct 13, 2012 #9
    Spin has no macroscopic analog, but I like to picture it as more of a "quality" of the particle, and how it reacts with polarization. Up and Down spins effects can be seen by passing electrons through a B field (where up and down spins will be attracted to different poles) because the distribution of charge on a particle is separate from its mass (what Simon Bridge said).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook