What is the Probability of Total Spin in a Two Particle System?

That really helped clarify things. In summary, the problem involves a two particle system with spin values s1 and s2. In part 1, if one particle is taken from each of two sources characterized by the state vectors |s1,m1> and |s2,m2>, the probability of the resultant two particle system having total spin S can be calculated using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. In part 2, if the particles are taken from unpolarized sources, the probability can be calculated by finding the proper linear combinations of states to form the composite system. This results in a mixture of spin states with values of s1+s2, 2s1, and 2s2.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a two particle system of which one particle has spin s1 and the other s2.

1. If one particle is taken from each of two sources characterized by the state vectors |s1,m1> and |s2,m2> respectively, what is the probability that the resultant two particle system will have total spin S?

2. If the particles are taken from unpolarized sources, what is the probability that the two particle system will have total spin S?

Homework Equations

[tex]S^2|s_n,m_n \rangle = \hbar^2 s_n(s_n+1)|s_n,m_n \rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help getting started, and also I don't understand how polarization affects the nature of the problem in part 2. To calculate the probabilities don't I just construct a wavefunction for the particle in that spin state and square it? If so what goes in the bra?

[tex]| \langle \psi | s_1,s_2,m_1,m_2 \rangle |^2[/tex]

Edit: I think this is a good start:

[tex]\langle \hat S \rangle = \langle \psi|\hat S|\psi \rangle = \Sigma \langle \psi | \hat S |s_1, s_2,m_1,m_2\rangle \langle s_1, s_2,m_1,m_2|\psi \rangle [/tex]

[tex] = \hbar^2 \left [ s_1(s_1+1)+s_2(s_2+1) \right ] \Sigma |\langle s_1, s_2,m_1,m_2|\psi \rangle|^2[/tex]

But how do I quantify the squared wavefunction on the RHS? Should I simple solve for it and say that is the probability?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1, the states of total spin [tex]S[/tex] are the states [tex]|S,m_S\rangle[/tex]. Note that [tex]m_S[/tex] is not specified. The overlap with the states [tex]| s_1,s_2,m_1,m_2 \rangle[/tex] are the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

For part 2, the unpolarized states are linear combinations of [tex]|s,m_s\rangle[/tex].

Is it possible to calculate the CB coefficients without specifying a spin value for each particle?

kreil said:
Is it possible to calculate the CB coefficients without specifying a spin value for each particle?

No, you're probably not going to get explicit numbers in this problem. It's mainly about finding the proper linear combinations.

fzero said:
For part 2, the unpolarized states are linear combinations of [tex]|s,m_s\rangle[/tex].

I'm having trouble with part 2, and I can't find much information about the situation in my notes or book (Ballentine). Can you expand a little bit more on this? Perhaps an example from a similar problem?

instead of [tex] \left| s_1 , m_1 \right\rangle \otimes \left| s_2 , m_2 \right\rangle [/tex] forming up the composite system

you have

[tex] ( \alpha \left| s_1 , m_1 \right\rangle + \alpha' \left| s_2 , m_2 \right\rangle) \otimes ( \alpha \left| s_1 , m_1 \right\rangle + \alpha' \left| s_2 , m_2 \right\rangle) [/tex]

so you get a mixture of [tex] s_1+s_2, 2s_1, 2s_2[/tex] states

Thanks!

1. What is the spin of a composite system?

The spin of a composite system is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of the system as a whole. It is often represented by the letter S and measured in units of ħ (the reduced Planck constant).

2. How is the spin of a composite system calculated?

The spin of a composite system is calculated by combining the individual spins of its constituent particles. This is done using the rules of quantum mechanics, which take into account the spin states and interactions between the particles.

3. Can the spin of a composite system change?

Yes, the spin of a composite system can change due to interactions with other particles or external forces. This can result in a change in the total angular momentum of the system, which affects its overall spin.

4. What is the significance of the spin of a composite system?

The spin of a composite system is a fundamental property that plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as magnetism and nuclear interactions. It also has important applications in technologies such as quantum computing and spintronics.

5. Is the spin of a composite system always conserved?

No, the spin of a composite system is not always conserved. In certain situations, such as particle decays or interactions with a magnetic field, the spin of the system can change. However, in isolated systems, the total spin is conserved due to the laws of quantum mechanics.