1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin operators

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    I need to show:

[tex](\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{a})(\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{b})=\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b} I + i \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})[/tex]

where a and b are arbitrary vectors, sigma is the pauli spin operator.

I was just wondering what the dot product and cross product were. Because a and b can be 2x1, 2x2, 2x3, etc... i'm not sure how to take a dot product of matricies much less a cross product. Since it specifies dot and cross, i assume that it is not just a regular matrix mulitpilication, however, i do not know how to take the dot and cross product of matrices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just think of the [itex] {\vec \sigma} [/itex] as vectors. So, for example, [itex] {\vec a} \cdot {\vec \sigma} [/itex] is simply [itex] a_1 \sigma_1 + a_2 \sigma_2 + a_3 \sigma_3 [/itex] and so on. So you treat the [itex] {\vec \sigma} [/itex] as vectors while being careful to rememember that the components do not coommute. And then , you may write them as matrices to complete your calculation.
  4. Apr 21, 2007 #3
    thanks nrqed. are vectors a and b 2x1? or is it a general 2xn?

Or is a=x1+x2+x3, where x1, x2, x3 are 2x1 vectors? I'm not too sure how general this should be
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?