Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spin-orbit coupling perturbation

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron in a hydrogen atom is in the n = 2, l = 1 state. It experiences a spin-orbit interaction [itex]H' = \alpha \mathbf{L} \cdot \mathbf{S}[/itex]. Calculate the energy level shifts due to the spin-orbit interaction.

2. Relevant equations

Degenerate perturbation theory.

3. The attempt at a solution

This n,l state is triply degenerate due to the three possible values of m = -1,0,1.

The unperturbed Hamiltonian is just what goes in the Schrodinger equation right? In which case the eigenfunctions of the unperturbed hamiltonian are just the spherical harmonics [itex]Y_{lm}[/itex] multiplied by strictly radial functions. So I put

[itex]\psi^{(0)} = \alpha Y_{10} + \beta Y_{1-1} + \gamma Y_{11}[/itex]

So I then write down the matrix [itex] \langle Y_{1,i} |H'| Y_{1,j} \rangle[/itex] and find the eigenvalues.

Am I getting warm?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to evaluate [tex]L.S[/tex] for each angular state (J,L,S) by using
    [tex]J^2=L^2+S^2+2L\cdot S[/tex].
    You don't need the explicit wave functions.

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    Hi Meir Achuz,

Thanks for your reply.

So for n = 2, l = 1 we have two possibilities for the total angular momentum corresponding to j = 1/2 and j=3/2 right?

But we also have some degeneracy coming from the possible values of m = -1,0,1.

Does this mean there will be a total of 6 energy shifts?

5. Nov 4, 2007 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

L^2 and S^2 are known.
    There are two energy levels.
    One for J^2=(3/2)(5/2), and one for J^2=(1/2)(3/2).
    There are 6 states, but because of rotational invariance, the 4 J=3/2 states are still, degenerate, as are the l2 J=1\/2 states.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook