1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin-orbit effects splits ?

1. Apr 21, 2006 #1
    Spin-orbit effects splits !?

Hi AllL

the spin-orbit effect splits the 3P-->3S transition in sodium(which gives rise to the yellow light of sodium vapor highway lamps) into two lines 589.0 nm corresponding to 3P sub 3/2-->3S sub 1/2 and 589.6nm corresponding to 3P sub 1/2 --> 3S sub 1/2.
    How can I use these wavelengths to calculate the effective magnetic field experinced by the outer electron in the sodium atom as a result of its orbital motion ??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ghallya, you have to show some work:)
  4. Apr 21, 2006 #3
    what do u mean ?:(
    i dont know , i cant even understand it correctly
    a little help from u , ill show some work for sure
  5. Apr 21, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, but that's the policy - please read the guidelines for this subforum. We can't help you with a coursework problem if you only post the question. You need to show some effort - what do you know about the spin-orbit interaction ?
  6. Apr 22, 2006 #5
    thanx anyway Gokul , but its not a course work :)
    Its somthing we didnt understand from the book

I searched for help , and I found hints and I solved it
    so thanx , :)
  7. Apr 22, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We require the same effort on standard textbook questions (since it is expected that the question be based on material that is covered in the text), irrespective of whether it is assigned homework or not.

Since you've solved it, I'd point you to this thread. Your calculation is essentially the same as the one I did in the first paragraph there.
  8. Apr 22, 2006 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?