Spin-orbit in bandstructure

• Thread starter bahaar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin-orbit
In summary, the conversation discusses the band structure of SrS and the effects of spin-orbit and crystal field on the degeneracy of the electronic states. The speaker also asks for help in interpreting the splitting using a specific equation.
bahaar
Hi.
please help me. i really need a quick reply.

I study the bandStructure of SrS with and without Spin-orbit but I have no enough information to explanation it.
the Sr has([kr] 4s2 4p6 5s2) and S has([Ne] 3s2 3p4) Structure. I attache the bandStructure of this compound calculated using pseudopotential(dot-line is with spin-orbit and solid line without Spin-orbit effect).
the lowest band is (4s Sr) the second band is (4p Sr) the , third line is (3s S) and the band below the fermi is (3p s).
I have two question?
1.degeneracy in (4p Sr)band is 3-fold or 6-fold?

2. If the degeneracy for 3band of p like is 3-fold, why we have 3-fold degeneracy in [itex]\Gamma[/itex] point but 2-fold in [itex]X[/itex] point in absent of Spin-orbit? I mean in absent of spin-orbit, what effect splits degeneracy(crystal field)?

3. I don't know how use of H=[1]/[2m2C2r] [dV]/[dr] L.S
to interpret difference in strong splitting between 4p Sr and 3p S?

please i need a quick reply.

Attachments

• Doc3.pdf
    64.6 KB · Views: 219
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The degeneracy of the 4p Sr band should be 6-fold. 2. In the absence of spin-orbit, the degeneracy is split by crystal field effects which arise from the interactions between electrons and the lattice. 3. You can use the H=[1]/[2m2C2r] [dV]/[dr] L.S equation to determine the strength of the splitting between the 4p Sr and 3p S bands. This equation calculates the energy difference between two electronic states; the higher the energy difference, the stronger the splitting.

1) What is spin-orbit coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin and orbital motion of an electron become coupled. This means that the direction of the electron's spin is affected by its motion in an external magnetic field.

2) How does spin-orbit coupling affect the band structure of materials?

Spin-orbit coupling can split the energy levels of electrons in a material's band structure. This splitting can lead to the formation of new energy bands and can affect the electronic and magnetic properties of the material.

3) What are the applications of spin-orbit coupling in materials?

Spin-orbit coupling plays a crucial role in understanding and controlling the spin properties of materials, which is important for spintronics and quantum computing. It also influences the electronic and magnetic properties of materials, making it relevant for applications in data storage, sensors, and energy conversion devices.

4) How is spin-orbit coupling experimentally observed in band structures?

Spin-orbit coupling can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and x-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS). These techniques can map out the energy levels and electronic states of a material, allowing researchers to identify the effects of spin-orbit coupling.

5) Can spin-orbit coupling be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, spin-orbit coupling can be manipulated in materials through various methods, such as applying an external magnetic field or using strain engineering. This allows for the tuning of the material's electronic and magnetic properties, making it a promising avenue for future technological advancements.