1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Parity of excited 60Co

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am asked to determine the most likely I[tex]\pi[/tex] state for an excited 60Co nucleus (a 59Co nucleus that has just been hit by a neutron). I have determined already from the previous part of the problem that the excited state has energy of ~7 MeV compared to the ground state. Not sure if that is relevant...

From a table of nuclear properties, I know the ground state I[tex]\pi[/tex] for 59Co is (7/2)-, and the ground state for 60Co is 5+.

2. Relevant equations

Co has 27 protons, so 59Co is an odd-even, and 60Co is an odd-odd. I know if there is more than one unpaired nucleon (odd-odd), we take both of their spins to determine the spin of the entire nucleus, via

And parity = (-1)lp+ln

3. The attempt at a solution

I am just not sure how to figure this out for an excited odd-odd nucleus. This is a PhD quals question, and we aren't given access to a chart showing the order of levels or anything (and we would not be expected to memorize it). I could gather from the two ground states given that the n would have I=3/2... but I don't know what it would have if promoted to another shell/state. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?