Spin Quantum Number: Why Just Z Component?

In summary, the "z" component of spin is the component that is in the direction of the applied magnetic field. The x-y components are those that are perpendicular to the z component. We are interested in them, they are just in superposition.
Sheldon Cooper
Hello everyone,
In case of hydrogen atom, when we say spin up or spin down we refer to the z component of the spin. Why are we interested only in the z component of spin and not in the x and y components?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The "z component" is the component that is in the direction of the applied magnetic field, see "Stern-Gerlach experiment".
The x-y components are those that are perpendicular to the z component. We are interested in them, they are just in superposition.

Simon Bridge said:
The "z component" is the component that is in the direction of the applied magnetic field

I suspect the reason we call it the "z" component, and not "x" or "y" is that when we deal with orbital angular momentum we normally express the Schrödinger wave function ##\psi## in spherical coordinates, which uses the z-axis as the axis of the coordinate system. The math describing atoms in magnetic fields is simpler if we align the axis of the coordinate system with the magnetic field.

We carry this convention for the z-axis over to spin angular momentum for consistency, which makes it easier to add spin and orbital angular momenta.

When you solve the SE equation for a spherically symmetric Hamiltonian you want the eigenstates to be simultaneous eigenstates of L squared and L. You can only pick one of the Ls since they don't commute, we call this arbitrary direction the z direction. I'm pretty sure once you sum all the degenerate states you get a state with no bias towards any direction, correct me if I'm wrong.

It is correct that in a quantum system, L2 and only one component of the vector L, can be measured simultaneously. We arbitrarily choose the z-component. But once we choose the z-component as the measurable quantity, Lx and Ly can no longer be specified exactly. I am not sure why you would want to add the degenerate states. Each one of them is a perfectly valid, measurable state. Of course, once you add a number of degenerate states with the same L2, but different Lz, the new state no longer has a definite value of Lz.

Chandra Prayaga said:
It is correct that in a quantum system, L2 and only one component of the vector L, can be measured simultaneously. We arbitrarily choose the z-component. But once we choose the z-component as the measurable quantity, Lx and Ly can no longer be specified exactly. I am not sure why you would want to add the degenerate states. Each one of them is a perfectly valid, measurable state. Of course, once you add a number of degenerate states with the same L2, but different Lz, the new state no longer has a definite value of Lz.

What I mean is, in general an eigenstate in an eigenspace has no particular connection to any direction of angular momentum, it's only that when we solve the SE for rotationally invariant problems we pick an "eigenbasis" which are also Lz eigenstates.

1. What is the spin quantum number and why is it important?

The spin quantum number is a fundamental property of a particle that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and it is a key factor in determining the properties of atoms and molecules.

2. How is the spin quantum number related to the z component?

The spin quantum number, denoted as s, can have values of 1/2 or -1/2. These values correspond to the z component of the particle's spin, which can either be aligned with (1/2) or against (-1/2) the direction of an external magnetic field. This alignment affects the energy levels and behavior of the particle.

3. Why is the z component of the spin quantum number used instead of other directions?

The z component of the spin quantum number is commonly used because it is the direction of the external magnetic field in most experiments. This allows us to easily manipulate and observe the effects of the particle's spin on its behavior.

4. How is the spin quantum number measured experimentally?

The spin quantum number is measured through various experimental techniques, such as electron spin resonance and nuclear magnetic resonance. These techniques use the interaction between the spin of the particle and an external magnetic field to determine its value.

5. What are the implications of a particle having a non-zero spin quantum number?

A non-zero spin quantum number means that the particle has intrinsic angular momentum, which can affect its behavior and interactions with other particles. This can have implications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and materials science.