Graphene Spin Relaxation: Getting Started

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker is looking to study spin relaxation in graphene, but is unsure of where to begin. They are seeking recommendations for papers to read that will provide a theoretical and experimental understanding of the subject. The person providing the summary suggests starting with C.P. Slichter's book on Nuclear Magnetic Resonance for a general overview, but is unable to offer specific recommendations for graphene. They also mention that more details about the speaker's specific interests may be helpful in providing targeted suggestions.
Jeff Chen
Recently, I want to study spin relaxation in graphene, but I don't know how to get start. Can anyone tell me which papers should I read for beginning so that I can have a deeper insight in it theorically and experimentally ?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get started on the subject in general, I would recommend C.P. Slichter's book Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. For the particular case of graphene, I have not gotten that specialized to know where to look. Perhaps others can help.
Edit: Also, I presumed you were interested in nuclear spins, but perhaps that is not the case... Perhaps it would help if you supplied a little more detail...

1. What is graphene spin relaxation?

Graphene spin relaxation refers to the process by which the spin of an electron in graphene (a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a honeycomb lattice) dissipates or loses its energy. This is an important phenomenon to understand for potential applications in spintronics, which involves using the spin of electrons for information storage and processing.

2. Why is graphene spin relaxation important?

Graphene spin relaxation is important because it affects the efficiency and speed of spin-based devices. By understanding and controlling this process, scientists can develop more efficient and reliable spintronics devices, which have the potential to revolutionize computing and data storage.

3. How does graphene spin relaxation occur?

Graphene spin relaxation can occur through various mechanisms, such as spin-orbit coupling, electron-phonon interactions, and defects in the graphene lattice. These mechanisms can cause the spin of an electron to lose its energy and eventually relax to a lower energy state.

4. What techniques are used to study graphene spin relaxation?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study graphene spin relaxation, including electrical measurements, optical spectroscopy, and spin transport measurements. These techniques allow researchers to observe the behavior of electrons in graphene and understand how their spin relaxes over time.

5. What are the potential applications of graphene spin relaxation?

Understanding and controlling graphene spin relaxation could lead to the development of more efficient and faster spin-based devices, such as spin transistors and spin valves. It could also have applications in quantum computing and magnetic data storage, as well as in other emerging technologies.