Where Can I Find Pauli's Original Proof of the Spin-Statistics Theorem?

• Thread starter coolguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for Pauli's original proof of the spin-statistics theorem and the sharing of a scanned version of the paper. The link to the paper is provided and the conversation also touches on copyright issues and the relationship between the Feynman propagators in 1+1 and 3+1 dimensions. It also mentions the starting point of Pauli's proof, the representations of the Lorentz group.
coolguy
could anyone post a link to Pauli's original proof of spin-statistics theorem.have been looking for a long time.could'nt find any.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tried wikipedia?

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v58/i8/p716_1

I'm sure there has to be a free copy of it, somewhere...

Daniel.

Drop by your local physics library and download it for free onto your USB hard drive (sometimes called memory stick). Failing that, you can always photocopy it out of the stacks.

Carl

i have a sick library around.wish i could get it on the net.even a modified version will be good for a start,heard its pretty deep.

I got a .PDF file of ~622KB with a scanned version. Too bad i can't attach it on this forums...

Daniel.

could u mail it to me.it would be great.

dextercioby said:
I got a .PDF file of ~622KB with a scanned version. Too bad i can't attach it on this forums...

Daniel.
If you email it to me I will host it.

Guys; aren’t there copyright issues on things like that?

Don’t the mentors here have to remove posts and known links to stolen material that violates copyright ownership.

It is one thing to get a library copy for private use, but sharing between members here and providing free access to everyone across the entire internet is not a valid version of private use.

Last edited by a moderator:
CarlB said:

The Connection Between Spin and Statistics
W. Pauli Princeton, New Jersey (Received August 19, 1940)

Amazingly, I now see that Pauli comes up here with the Feynman propagator
for the KG equation (18) in position space, in 1940(!) after first presenting the
causal Klein Gordon propagator (15).

He then goes on to dismiss it with the words:

"Theories which would make use of the D1 function in their quantization
would be very much different from the known theories in their consequences."

This because of the propagation outside the light cone...
Regards, Hans

PS:

D = Klein Gordon Causal propagator in 4d position space
F = Klein Gordon Causal propagator in 2d position space
D1 = Feynman KG propagator in 4d position space
F1 = Feynman KG propagator in 2d position space

PPS: The domains (x0>r) etcetera are mixed up in (18)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for reference, see also this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=217846

1+1 dimensional Feynman KG propagator in position space:

[tex]D^2_F(x,y) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^2} \int d^2p \, \frac{e^{-ip(x-y)}}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}
= \left \{ \begin{matrix}
\ \ \ \frac{1}{4} H_0^{(1)}(ms) & \textrm{ if }\, s^2 \geq 0 \\
-\frac{i }{ 2 \pi} K_0(ms) & \textrm{if }\, s^2 < 0
\end{matrix} \right. \qquad \qquad s^2\ =\ |x^0 - y^0|^2 - |\vec{x} - \vec{y}|^2
[/tex]

3+1 dimensional Feynman KG propagator in position space:

[tex]D^4_F(x,y) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^4} \int d^4p \, \frac{e^{-ip(x-y)}}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon}
= \left \{ \begin{matrix}
-\frac{1}{4 \pi} \delta(s^2) + \frac{m}{8 \pi s} H_1^{(1)}(ms) & \textrm{ if }\, s^2 \geq 0 \\
-\frac{i m}{ 4 \pi^2 s} K_1(ms) & \textrm{if }\, s^2 < 0
\end{matrix} \right.
[/tex]

And the relation between the two is:

[tex]D^4_F(s)\ =\ \frac{1}{\pi}\ \frac{\partial}{\partial (s^2)}\ D^2_F(s)
\qquad \left(= \frac{1}{2\pi s}\ \frac{\partial}{\partial s}\ D^2_F(s)\ \right) [/tex]

Regards, Hans

What is the spin-statistics theorem?

The spin-statistics theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the spin of a particle to its intrinsic properties, such as its mass and charge, and to its statistical behavior.

Why is the spin-statistics theorem important?

The spin-statistics theorem is important because it explains why certain particles, such as electrons, behave differently than others, such as photons. It also has implications for the behavior of matter at the quantum level and helps to understand the structure of matter.

What does the spin-statistics theorem predict?

The spin-statistics theorem predicts that particles with integer spin, such as photons and mesons, follow Bose-Einstein statistics and can occupy the same quantum state, while particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and protons, follow Fermi-Dirac statistics and cannot occupy the same quantum state.

How was the spin-statistics theorem discovered?

The spin-statistics theorem was first postulated by physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925 and was later mathematically proven by physicist Julian Schwinger in 1949. It was later experimentally verified through various experiments, including the discovery of the anti-electron (positron) by Carl Anderson in 1932.

What are the implications of the spin-statistics theorem?

The spin-statistics theorem has significant implications in fields such as particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It also has practical applications in technologies such as semiconductors and superconductors. Additionally, it provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the universe.