Understanding the Spin-Statistics Theorem: A Modern Notation Approach

In summary, based on the conversation about the question and the Weinberg book on the representation of the Lorentz Group, it is explained that the equation u(a,b) = Cab/sqrt(2m) is related to transformations that do not alter momentum in a massive particle. This means that the transformations are only rotations, making them Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. The book has all the necessary formulas and the only potential issue is understanding Weinberg's notation for sst.
Physics news on Phys.org
filip97 said:
i read that question and Weinberg book (A,B)-Representation of Lorentz Group: Coefficient functions of fields

why u(a,b)=Cab/sqrt(2m) ?

where Cab is Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, and m is mass of particle
Basically because transformations on ##u_{ab}(0,\sigma)## for a massive particle are transformations that don't alter momentum by boosting to another frame, i.e. occur in one frame and don't involve translation. The only transformations then are rotations, thus they are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

DarMM said:
Basically because transformations on ##u_{ab}(0,\sigma)## for a massive particle are transformations that don't alter momentum by boosting to another frame, i.e. occur in one frame and don't involve translation. The only transformations then are rotations, thus they are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

Formulas please

filip97 said:
Formulas please
Weinberg has all the formulae, I'd just be repeating him. I thought you wanted the reasoning as such, what gap does Weinberg's text have for you?

DarMM said:
Weinberg has all the formulae, I'd just be repeating him. I thought you wanted the reasoning as such, what gap does Weinberg's text have for you?
I think formulas in modern notation, i don't understand weinberg notation for sst , thanks !

What is the Spin Statistics Theorem?

The Spin Statistics Theorem states that particles with integer spin must obey Bose-Einstein statistics, while particles with half-integer spin must obey Fermi-Dirac statistics.

Who first proposed the Spin Statistics Theorem?

The Spin Statistics Theorem was first proposed by Wolfgang Pauli in 1926.

How does the Spin Statistics Theorem relate to the exclusion principle?

The Spin Statistics Theorem is closely related to the exclusion principle, which states that no two particles can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This is because particles with half-integer spin (fermions) must follow Fermi-Dirac statistics, which leads to the exclusion principle.

What is the significance of the Spin Statistics Theorem in particle physics?

The Spin Statistics Theorem is a fundamental principle in particle physics and has important implications for the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It helps to explain the observed behavior of particles and is essential for understanding phenomena such as superconductivity and superfluidity.

How does the Spin Statistics Theorem apply to particles with zero spin?

Particles with zero spin, such as photons, are exempt from the Spin Statistics Theorem and do not follow either Bose-Einstein or Fermi-Dirac statistics. Instead, they follow Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics, which does not impose any restrictions on the occupation of quantum states.