Spin Time Development: Solving for Initial State in B-Field | Homework Help

• Thread starter Lawrencel2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin Time
The time evolution of the initial state involves a precession of the spin in the yz plane, which can be seen by calculating the expectation value of the ##S_z## operator. This is done by finding the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian at t<T, which are ##| + \rangle_x## and ##| - \rangle_x##, and then finding the time evolution of the initial state in this basis. At t=0, the state is a superposition of ##| + \rangle_x## and ##| - \rangle_x##, but when t=T, the state will have evolved into a state where the spin is pointing in the +z direction.
Lawrencel2

Homework Statement

I have a B field initially in the x-direction, and its constant:
[itex] \widehat{H}= - (\dfrac{e}{mc})\overrightarrow{B} \dot{} \overrightarrow{S} [/itex]

At t=0 it was prepared so that Sz has an eigenvalue of + hbar/2
I want to show the time evolution of the initial state.

Homework Equations

[itex] \widehat{H}= - (\dfrac{e}{mc})\overrightarrow{B} \dot{} \overrightarrow{S} [/itex]
[tex] \widehat{U} = e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}t} [/tex] Time evolution

The Attempt at a Solution

It would evolve as so:
[tex] |\alpha, t> = c_{1} e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}t} |+> +c_{2} e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}t} |-> [/tex]

But we know at t = 0 it should give us a spin up of hbar/2..
So evaluate at t=0:

[tex] |\alpha, 0> = c_{1} e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}0} |+> +c_{2} e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}0} |-> [/tex]
[tex] |\alpha, 0> = c_{1} |+>+c_{2} |-> = 1|+> [/tex]
Then that means that C1 = 1 and C2 = 0..?

But intuitively I know that it precesses in the ZY plane since B is in the X-direction.. If I just got rid of the C2 coefficient, then i will never be able to show how it precesses into the spin down? Ahh i feel like I'm missing something here.. Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lawrencel2 said:
It would evolve as so:
[tex] |\alpha, t> = c_{1} e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}t} |+> +c_{2} e^{\dfrac{-i H}{\hbar}t} |-> [/tex]
If ##| + \rangle## and ##| - \rangle## are eigenstates of ##S_z##, then they are not eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. This equation is therefore not correct.

DrClaude said:
If ##| + \rangle## and ##| - \rangle## are eigenstates of ##S_z##, then they are not eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. This equation is therefore not correct.
Then how can I express the state? I need to find the development of the state up to some arbitrary time T when the b field switches into the z direction...

You have to write it in terms of the eigenstates of ##S_x##.

DrClaude said:
You have to write it in terms of the eigenstates of ##S_x##.
AH. well I'm confused now.
[tex] \vert\alpha, t \rangle = \dfrac{a}{\sqrt{2}} e^{i t\dfrac{H}{\hbar}} \vert +\rangle\pm\dfrac{b}{\sqrt{2}} e^{i t\dfrac{H}{\hbar}} \vert -\rangle [/tex]
the summed state represents spin up in z and difference terms represent spin down?

Let me introduce a notation to make things clearer:
$$
\hat{S}_z | \pm \rangle_z = \pm \frac{\hbar}{2} | \pm \rangle_z \\
\hat{S}_x | \pm \rangle_x = \pm \frac{\hbar}{2} | \pm \rangle_x
$$
What you are writing is
$$
|\alpha, t \rangle = c_1 e^{-i \hat{H} t / \hbar} | + \rangle_z + c_2 e^{-i \hat{H} t / \hbar} | - \rangle_z
$$
The problem is that ##| + \rangle_z## and ##| - \rangle_z## are not eigenstates of ##\hat{H}## (you should show that). That means that ##e^{-i \hat{H} t / \hbar}## mixes the two spin states, and you can't treat it as a simple complex number. You also cannot easily calculate the exponential of a matrix that is not diagonal.

You therefore need to go to a basis where ##\hat{H}## is diagonal, i.e., a basis of eigenstates of ##\hat{H}##, namely ##| + \rangle_x## and ##| - \rangle_x## (you can show that also). Then you need to take the correct initial state in this basis, look at its time evolution, and if you calculate for instance ##\langle \hat{S}_z \rangle##, you will find that it is time-dependent, hence you will indeed see a precession in the yz plane.

So I started over and found the EigenVectors of the hamiltonian at t<T (Interval where B points in X-direction)..
[tex]
\mid\alpha\rangle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \mid +\rangle_{x} e^{\dfrac{\imath e B_{x} t}{2mc}}+ \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \mid -\rangle_{x} e^{\dfrac{-\imath e B_{x} t}{2mc}}\\
Where: \\
\mid +\rangle_{x} =\binom{1}{1}

\mid -\rangle_{x} =\binom{1}{-1}
[/tex]But I don't know what X is initially, I only know where it is in Z. When I evaluate it for t=0 I get:
[tex]

\mid\alpha, t=0 \rangle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \mid +\rangle_{x} + \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \mid -\rangle_{x}[/tex]
Which gives us: //
[tex]
\mid\alpha, t=0 \rangle = \binom{1}{0}
[/tex]

Which is the spin up Z ket correct?
So when t -> T
My hamiltonian then changes to B in the Z direction

Last edited:

1. What is "Spin Time Development" and why is it important in solving for the initial state in a B-Field?

"Spin Time Development" refers to the mathematical process of tracking the evolution of a particle's spin over time. In the context of solving for the initial state in a B-Field, this technique is important because it allows us to understand how the particle's spin changes as it moves through a magnetic field, which is essential for many scientific applications such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

2. How does the B-Field affect the spin of a particle?

The B-Field, or magnetic field, exerts a force on the magnetic moment of a particle, which causes it to rotate or precess. This rotation is dependent on the strength and direction of the B-Field, as well as the properties of the particle such as its mass and charge.

3. What are the main equations used in solving for the initial state in a B-Field?

The main equations used in this process are the Bloch equations, which describe the evolution of the particle's spin vector over time, and the Larmor equation, which relates the precession frequency of the spin to the strength of the B-Field.

4. What is the role of the initial state in solving for the spin time development in a B-Field?

The initial state, or initial conditions, play a crucial role in determining the outcome of the spin time development in a B-Field. These initial conditions include the initial orientation and energy of the particle's spin, as well as the strength and direction of the B-Field. By solving for the initial state, we can predict the behavior of the particle's spin at any point in time.

5. How is solving for the initial state in a B-Field useful in practical applications?

Solving for the initial state in a B-Field is essential for many practical applications, such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and quantum computing. By understanding the behavior of the spin in a magnetic field, scientists and engineers can design and optimize these technologies for various purposes, from medical imaging to particle collisions and information processing.