Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin up or spin down

1. Aug 4, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I have read about Schrodinger's cat saying we do not know whether or not a particle has a spin up or spin down. It is only when we check it that we know which one it is.
    I understand the concept however I do not understand what do scientists mean when they say "spin up/down".
    What are 'spins'?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Spin is intrinsic angular momentum, the quantum-mechanical analog to the classical angular momentum of an object spinning around its own axis, like a spinning top or the Earth's daily rotation. Each elementary particle has a fixed amount (magnitude) of spin, which is a fundamental property of that particle, like its mass and electric charge.

There are only certain allowable values for the magnitude of spin, namely ##S = \sqrt {s(s+1)} \hbar## where ##s## can have either positive integer or half-integer values, or zero. Electrons have ##s = 1/2## so ##S = \sqrt{3/4} \hbar##. (beware the distinction between lower-case ##s## and upper-case ##S##)

Analogous to the way that we can orient a spinning top so its axis of rotation points in different directions, we can (loosely speaking) think of a particle's spin as being oriented in different directions. We describe this using the component of spin along a given reference direction which we customarily call the z-direction although it can actually be any direction we like. The z-component of spin is restricted to a set of values which depend on the magnitude of spin: ##S_z = m_s \hbar## where ##m_s## can have values from ##-s## to ##+s## in steps of 1. Electrons have ##s = 1/2## so they must have either ##m_s = -1/2## (##S_z = -\hbar/2##) or ##m_s = +1/2## (##S_z = +\hbar/2##). We call these two states "spin down" and "spin up".

Unlike a particle's spin magnitude ##S## which is fixed, we can change ##S_z## ("flip the spin") by various methods.

For further information see e.g. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. Aug 4, 2015 #3
    Thank you so much for your help. I am now reading more about spins and quantum numbers. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook