Understanding Spin and Helicity Conservation in Relativistic Interactions

In summary, the spin is not always conserved. The spin is changed as well, but the change in spin is 1.
Silviu
I am a bit confused about spin conservation at relativistic energies. I am reading a QFT book by Peskin and at a point he specifies that "In the nonrelativistic limit the total spin of the system is conserved". Later when we go to the relativistic limit (there is the interaction between a photon and an electron this time), the spin is not conserved anymore (I attached a pic of what I mean).
So the spin is not always conserved? It is just the helicity? And what is the general statement (a conservation law shouldn't care about the energy at which the experiment takes place)? What is always conserved here? Moreover in the pic I attached he specifies that "the total spin angular momentum of the final state is one unit less than that of the initial state". I am not sure I understand. The spin doesn't point along the same direction before and after. I agree they have different values, but I am not sure I understand why it is a difference of 1? What is the common axis they use for both before and after? Thank you!

Attachments

• QED.jpg
    QED.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 641
Physics news on Phys.org
spin alone has no reason to be conserved- it's the total angular momentum (orbital + spin, as in [itex]J= S + L [/itex]) that is conserved (as is stated in the caption).
The orbital angular momentum is changed as well.

ChrisVer said:
spin alone has no reason to be conserved- it's the total angular momentum that is conserved (as is stated in the caption).
The orbital angular momentum is changed as well.
But why is the change in the spin 1 in this case? What axis is considered?

Just by looking at the pic, I would say that in the first you have a +1 (photon) as it shows rotation clockwise - 1/2 (fermion) as it shows rotation anti-clockwise = 1/2 initially.
In the final state I see a counter-clockwise rotation for the photon -1 and a clockwise rotation for the fermion 1/2 , so -1/2...
difference is = -1
the absolute difference will be 1 even if you assigned the signs differently.

ChrisVer said:
Just by looking at the pic, I would say that in the first you have a +1 (photon) as it shows rotation clockwise - 1/2 (fermion) as it shows rotation anti-clockwise = 1/2 initially.
In the final state I see a counter-clockwise rotation for the photon -1 and a clockwise rotation for the fermion 1/2 , so -1/2...
difference is = -1
the absolute difference will be 1 even if you assigned the signs differently.
Thank you for your reply. I understand this, but how can you compare, as they are not along the same axis? In the first case you have 1/2 along the initial axis and in the final case you have -1/2 along a different axis? They are obviously not the same, but why is the difference exactly 1?

I don't know what axis you are talking about... I just looked at where the arrows point (if you want an axis you can pick one that is the same for the final and initial state). It won't change the fact that the arrow initially goes clockwise and finally counterclockwise and vice versa.

ChrisVer said:
I don't know what axis you are talking about... I just looked at where the arrows point (if you want an axis you can pick one that is the same for the final and initial state). It won't change the fact that the arrow initially goes clockwise and finally counterclockwise and vice versa.
What I mean is: let's assume the angle is (close to) 90 degrees. Call the initial direction x and the final direction y. So initially we have spin -1/2 along the x direction and in the end spin 1/2 along the y direction. Don't we need to move them to the same axis (either both x or both y) in order to compare the change in spin?

Initially you have a spin +1 for the photon along the z-axis (rotation clockwise)... finally you have a rotation counterclockwise, which means that the spin is -1 on the z-axis.
Similarly for the fermion.

ChrisVer said:
Initially you have a spin +1 for the photon along the z-axis (rotation clockwise)... finally you have a rotation counterclockwise, which means that the spin is -1 on the z-axis.
Similarly for the fermion.
What do you call z-axis? The direction of photon changes. Does this mean you can rotate your coordinate system before and after? Isn't that usually fixed?

Silviu said:
Does this mean you can rotate your coordinate system before and after?
nop

ChrisVer said:
nop
So how can you have +1 before and -1 after on the z axis, if the axis is fixed but the direction of the photon changes?

Silviu said:
So how can you have +1 before and -1 after on the z axis, if the axis is fixed but the direction of the photon changes?
Why would it? how is the momentum related to the spin in your case (not helicity)?

ChrisVer said:
Why would it? how is the momentum related to the spin in your case (not helicity)?
I am so lost now... isn't the spin along the direction of momentum, both before and after? This means that if the momentum direction changes, spin direction changes, too, isn't this right?

Silviu said:
This means that if the momentum direction changes, spin direction changes, too, isn't this right?
The spin direction changes (it flips), why would the z-axis change?

ChrisVer said:
The spin direction changes (it flips), why would the z-axis change?
Ok, so let's say initially the photon travels along the positive ##\hat{z}##, which means that the spin of the photon is +1 along the ##\hat{z}##. After the interaction, let's say that the photon will move along ##-\hat{z}+\hat{x}##. Based on the picture, as the spin still points along the direction of the photon, the spin will be +1 along ##-\hat{z}+\hat{x}##. By the same argument the spin of the electron will be 1/2 along ##\hat{z}-\hat{x}##. So the total spin in the end will be +1/2 along ##-\hat{z}+\hat{x}## while initially it was +1/2 along ##\hat{z}##. Is this right?

What is spin vs helicity conservation?

Spin and helicity conservation are two principles in physics that describe the properties of subatomic particles, specifically their angular momentum and the direction of their spin.

Why is spin vs helicity conservation important?

Spin and helicity conservation are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of subatomic particles. They also play a crucial role in many fundamental physical phenomena, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

How do spin vs helicity conservation differ?

Spin conservation refers to the conservation of a particle's intrinsic angular momentum, while helicity conservation refers to the conservation of the direction of a particle's spin. In other words, spin is a vector quantity, while helicity is a scalar quantity.

What is an example of spin vs helicity conservation in action?

An example of spin conservation is the spin of an electron, which always remains at a constant value. An example of helicity conservation is the conservation of the direction of spin in a particle-antiparticle annihilation process.

Are there any exceptions to spin vs helicity conservation?

While spin and helicity conservation are generally accepted principles in physics, there are certain situations where they may not hold true. For example, in high-energy collisions, the conservation of spin and helicity may be violated due to the production of new particles and interactions between particles.