Can spinning an object fast enough make it weightless?

In summary, the author of the article claims that when an object is spinning, it is lighter than when it is stopped. However, they say that this effect is only true for objects that are spinning quickly enough to reach light speed. Additionally, they say that if an object were to spin faster than light speed, it would become like a black hole, with an infinite mass and incredibly strong gravity.
Chitose
Wonder chick have a question again today.

I heard from doucumentary that when object is spining, It's bit lighter than when it stop. My understand is because Weight distribute to orther vecter than going down to gravity.

So, Is it possible that object can spin fast enough to Its weight become zero? (cut thing about that object going to break and scatter around because g-force out)

and another question just come to mind while I posting this topic.

I know that we can't go faster than light speed due the relative theory, but what if object that spin as fast as light speed? is it same thing?

**sorry for a lot question, It's kill my eyes and my brain to look at all old topic to find that there some other person ask the same thing before. (My glasses are thick enough already)**

PS. English is not my native language, forgive if I wrong in gramma or wrong spelling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chitose said:
I heard from doucumentary that when object is spining, It's bit lighter than when it stop.
Do you have a specific reference? I know of no such effect.

The OP (or the show) could be referring to the discredited Podletnikov 'experiments'

That's what I suspect.

I can't exactly recall the name of doucumentary, It's been arrange by tv program in my country.

but it's about UFO thing and the way it fly.

Why? Is it wrong? I didn't mean to discredit anyone

Chitose said:
This means the reliability of the claims are nigh-zero.

Something wrong here.

The Matter is not "reliable or not" but it's "true or not".

Sorry but I Ask as someone who doesn't know, didn't mean to oppose anyone. If what I believe is wrong so tell me.

Fantasy is the most basic of all science theory right?

So, If fast spining object become bit lighter than normal is not true than fine.
but what about object that spin faster than light speed? what will happen?

Chitose said:
The Matter is not "reliable or not" but it's "true or not".
I think the answer has been answered here as not true.

Chitose said:
Fantasy is the most basic of all science theory right?
What? No. Fantasy is pretty much an anathema to science.

Chitose said:
So, If fast spining object become bit lighter than normal is not true than fine.
but what about object that spin faster than light speed? what will happen?

Objects cannot spin faster than the speed of light. As the object's rim approaches relativistic velocities, more and more energy will be required to spin it faster. Eventually, all the energy in the universe will not be enough to make it spin any faster.

Chitose said:

Why? Is it wrong? I didn't mean to discredit anyone
Since there is no solid evidence that UFOs are alien spacecraft , obviously we couldn't know how they would fly!

It's Impossible, Thank you, That's clear enough.

But there's says ... When we observ something go fast almost at light speed the we'll see time of that object slower and it size is smaller, and when it reach light speed time stop and it will vanished because it mass become zero. (no body say's about about not enough energy or any other oppose fector)

So, If round object like ball spin to light speed, It' will become like that too?

I just want to know by cut some oppose fector out. I'm not sciencetist, just normal people who interested in.

Chitose said:
But there's says ... When we observ something go fast almost at light speed the we'll see time of that object slower and it size is smaller,
It will be length-contracted in the direction of its movement, yes. i.e its circumference will decrease, though its radius will not.
Chitose said:
and when it reach light speed time stop and it will vanished because it mass become zero.
It will never reach light speed. Ever.

However, as it approaches light speed, time in its frame of reference will dilate without limit as observed from an external frame of reference (to us it will appear to 'age' slower).

And as it apporaches light speed, its mass will increase without limit.

DaveC426913 said:
And as it apporaches light speed, its mass will increase without limit.

mass increase without limit? hmmm... so it become almost like black hole than. (infinite mass, extremely gravity etc...)

oh and one thing

It's true that fantasy is more like anathema to science, I admit.
But is it because people always fantasy to something so science born to make that fantasy become real? (or even bust that fantasy sometime)

Like... people fantasy about fly in sky like bird and try everyway they can and finally Aerodinamic is born and make fantasy about flying become real?

Fantasy and science are just different side fo same coin, opposing yet cannot separate.

If people not fantasy about anything, science will never be born too.

okay okay, I think that's enough.

Thankyou for awnser all my Curious, your great Science Advisor.

So for a ball spinning at a such (peripheral) speeds close to c, what would happen to its gravitational mass? If placed on a measuring scale, what weight would be recorded?

Chitose said:
mass increase without limit? hmmm... so it become almost like black hole than. (infinite mass, extremely gravity etc...)
No. In its own frame of refernce, the object experiences no change in mass. Thus, no black hole.

Chitose said:
oh and one thing

It's true that fantasy is more like anathema to science, I admit.
But is it because people always fantasy to something so science born to make that fantasy become real? (or even bust that fantasy sometime)

Like... people fantasy about fly in sky like bird and try everyway they can and finally Aerodinamic is born and make fantasy about flying become real?

Fantasy and science are just different side fo same coin, opposing yet cannot separate.

People wouldn't be much without both fantasy and science. That much I agree with.

Chitose said:
Thankyou for awnser all my Curious, your great Science Advisor.
Keep asking. We loooove helping people.

Not just science. Art forms also become dull without fantasy-unrestricted imagination. I feel imagination is one thing that distinguishes machines from a few life forms.

No. In its own frame of refernce, the object experiences no change in mass. Thus, no black hole.
A black hole is not one with infinite mass.

sganesh88 said:
A black hole is not one with infinite mass.
I think it's safe to say he was thinking that, if an object's mass increases without limit, it will at some point collapse into a black hole. While his supposition is true, it has nothing to do with relativistic mass increase.

DaveC426913 said:
No. In its own frame of refernce, the object experiences no change in mass.

Than maybe just maybe, inside black hole itself, It don't even know that Itself are already collapse. It just wonder why everything are rushing into them.

Like, inside frame of refernce they think they still a normal ball (no change in mass), but to the oursider it become black hole.

funny huh...

It's probably not a bad idea to remind people to look at the Overly Speculative Postings section of the guidelines. It's very difficult to discuss anything that's not grounded in facts.

1. How does spinning an object make it weightless?

When an object is spun at a high enough speed, it creates centripetal force that counteracts the force of gravity, resulting in a feeling of weightlessness. This is similar to the effect experienced by astronauts in orbit around Earth.

2. Is it possible to make any object weightless by spinning it?

No, it is not possible to make any object weightless by spinning it. The speed at which an object needs to be spun to counteract gravity depends on its mass and size. Objects with a large mass or size would require an incredibly high speed, which may not be achievable.

3. How fast does an object need to spin to become weightless?

The speed required to make an object weightless varies depending on its mass and size. Generally, the larger or more massive the object, the faster it needs to spin to achieve weightlessness. For example, a small feather may only need to spin a few hundred revolutions per minute (RPM), while a large car may need to spin thousands of RPM to achieve weightlessness.

4. Is spinning an object the same as being in zero gravity?

No, spinning an object does not have the same effect as being in zero gravity. While both can result in a feeling of weightlessness, zero gravity is the absence of any gravitational force, whereas spinning creates a counteracting force. Additionally, objects in zero gravity do not experience any resistance or friction, while a spinning object will eventually slow down and experience these forces.

5. Can spinning an object fast enough have any other effects?

Yes, spinning an object at high speeds can have other effects besides creating a feeling of weightlessness. These effects can include changes in the object's shape or size, changes in temperature, and even the creation of an electromagnetic field. These effects can vary depending on the material and composition of the object being spun.