Spinning a Slinky: Momentum & Angular Momentum Explained

In summary, when the top end of the Slinky is dropped, the information of the tension change must propagate to the bottom end before both sides begin to fall; the top of an extended Slinky will drop while the bottom initially remains in its original position, compressing the spring. This creates a suspension time of ~0.3 s for an original Slinky,[13][14] but has potential to create a much larger suspension time.
a1call
Hi all,

"When the top end of the Slinky is dropped, the information of the tension change must propagate to the bottom end before both sides begin to fall; the top of an extended Slinky will drop while the bottom initially remains in its original position, compressing the spring.[12] This creates a suspension time of ~0.3 s for an original Slinky,[13][14] but has potential to create a much larger suspension time."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slinky#Levitation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law#Rotation_in_gravity-free_space

Suppose you are spinning a Slinky around some point A in absence of gravity. The links above seem to imply that perhaps the far end of the Slinky will momentarily maintain a constant distance from point A after its release and perhaps even maintain its angular momentum. This seems wrong to me.
The law of conservation of Momentum implies that the Center-of-Mass of the slinky would immediately follow a straight line after being released. Furthermore the COM would maintain (temporarily) a constant position relative to the far end before the slinky contracts. All this should result in the far end not only not maintaining an angular momentum around point A, but also immediately increasing its distance from point A.
The difference here being that unlike dropping a slinky which would entail the COM staying aligned to the gravity vector throughout the free-fall, in the spinning scenario the COM will immediately move away from the radial path to a tangent path.
A video and discussion of the free fall version can be found at

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/09/26/slinky-drop-physics/

Link credit to:

image.php?u=3594&dateline=1391439058.gif

Am I completely off?

Thank you in advance for any comments and insights.

Physics news on Phys.org
a1call said:
The law of conservation of Momentum implies that the Center-of-Mass of the slinky would immediately follow a straight line after being released.
How does conservation of momentum imply that? Instantaneous information would violate relativity.

AFAIK the law of conservation of momentum is a classical mechanics law. As such if from t0 (after release) till some t1, the COM does not follow a straight path and then from t1 onward the COM does follow a straight path, then there is a change in momentum which would be a reaction without an action and impossible from a classical vantage point.
But I may be corrected on that.

a1call said:
But I may be corrected on that.
Sorry, I cut the quote too early. This is what I don't get:
a1call said:
Furthermore the COM would maintain (temporarily) a constant position relative to the far end before the slinky contracts.
Why can't the far end still move on a circle, while the COM moves on a straight line?

That is a good question. Not 100% sure. But assuming that the COM starts on a straight path immediately after release, then relative (classically speaking) to the COM before the contraction reaches and surpasses the COM (at slinky's wire midpoint irrelevant of the spring length ), the COM will maintain a constant distance to the far end. It would be inconsistent for the far end to maintain an angular (circular) path and equal distance, around and from point A, while keeping equal distance from the COM which is moving tangentially in a straight path relative to point A. Or so I figure.

Last edited:
The only alternative I can think of is that the near end goes into such crooked formations that would shift the COM away from the wire midpoint and in such form to maintain the angular momentum of the far end briefly.
So I just don't know.

I actually do have a Slinky at hand, but do not have the means to record or room to spin it.
I can visually observe the "levitation" in the drop scenario. I also tried a partially spin scenario and the far end did seem to move away immediately, but the test was far unreliable for a definite assessment.

a1call said:
the COM (at slinky's wire midpoint irrelevant of the spring length )
Is that really true, given a non-uniform compression of the spring?

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Is that really true, given a non-uniform compression of the spring?
I would think yes if the compression is linear and along a straight line (which may not be the case here). In a linear compression, the two halves of the slinky's mass will be on the opposing sides of the wire midpoint. If the compression is not along a straight line however, the COM can be anywhere in or outside the space occupied by the slinky.
To further complicate things, the delay in the release signal reaching the far end is inversely related to the slinky's stretch while it is directly related to its wire length.

a1call said:
the two halves of the slinky's mass will be on the opposing sides of the wire midpoint
That doesn't make the wire midpoint the COM.

A.T. said:
That doesn't make the wire midpoint the COM.
I can't see why not. If you froze the slinky stiff with one half composed along a straight line and the other half uncompressed but straight along the same line, the wire midpoint would be the balancing point. To make sure we are talking about the same thing by wire-midpoint I am referring to the midpoint along an uncoiled wire which would be used to fabricate the slinky by coiling that wire. in other words the invariable midpoint of an uncoiled slinky.

Unless you are talking about the relativistic mass of the potential energy of the compression which would be again out of the classical mechanics domain, and immeasurable for all practical purposes.

Last edited:
To be more precise the COM would be on the slinky axis point closest to the wire-midpoint, but I think that is inconsequential to the argument.
It seems my problem arose from the false assumption that the COM would have to react instantaneously to a release and without delay. But as shown in the slow motion posting by V71, that is clearly not the case.
It would be difficult to verify this in practice, because at presence of gravity the spinning will have to be fast enough to overcome gravity and thus the delay would be very short and difficult to observe. A highly stretched slinky would show very short delay.

a1call said:
If you froze the slinky stiff with one half composed along a straight line and the other half uncompressed but straight along the same line, the wire midpoint would be the balancing point.
No. The COM would be somewhere in the uncompressed half.

a1call said:
It seems my problem arose from the false assumption that the COM would have to react instantaneously to a release and without delay.
That assumption is correct due to momentum conservation. Your problem is a misunderstanding of COM (see above).

Yes I understand now, with the leverage playing a role. Correct?

a1call said:
Yes I understand now, with the leverage playing a role. Correct?
Yes, in terms of balancing, the COM of the uncompressed half has a longer lever arm than the COM of the compressed half.

When you release the slinky at the center, the COM will start moving linearly without delay. But the far end will initially continue on a circle.

Got it.
Thank you.

a1call said:
Got it.
Thank you.
You're welcome.

Also note that torsion travels much faster along the slinky, than compression. In some slow motion videos of the slinky drop you can see, that the bottom starts to spin long before it starts to fall.

Likes vanhees71
a1call said:
Suppose you are spinning a Slinky around some point A in absence of gravity.

Here the experiment at time around 5:50:

Nice find.
It appears the slinky is overstretched compared to 1 g, making the delay over-shortened. Also the far end never gets stable. Perhaps the free fall duration is too short for the proper conduction of this experiment. Perhaps someone will try it aboard the International Space Station at some point.

a1call said:
Perhaps someone will try it aboard the International Space Station at some point.
Inside? They have even less space there. A computer simulation could help here.

Looks to me that for the Slinky held still in gravity, there is a tension gradient increasing from the bottom of the Slinky to the top (because each coil is holding the weight of the coils below it).
That means the COM is initially lower than the midpoint distance between the bottom and top (the coils below the midpoint are closer together than the ones above the midpoint).

Upon release, the contraction rate is also a gradient increasing from bottom to top (the top has greater tension and approaches the midpoint distance faster than the bottom, so the COM of the Slinky is actually falling from the moment of release of the top (delayed by the speed of sound in the metal path of the coils).

The bottom does not begin to fall until the increased tension above the midpoint reduces to match the tension below the midpoint... even though the COM is already moving down...

1. How is momentum related to spinning a Slinky?

When a Slinky is spinning, it has both linear and angular momentum. The linear momentum is the product of its mass and linear velocity, while the angular momentum is the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. As the Slinky spins, its momentum is conserved and can be transferred to other objects upon contact.

2. Does the direction of spin affect the momentum of a Slinky?

Yes, the direction of spin does affect the momentum of a Slinky. When a Slinky is spinning clockwise, its angular momentum is in the clockwise direction. If the direction of spin is changed to counterclockwise, the angular momentum will also change to the counterclockwise direction.

3. What is angular momentum and how is it different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. While linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and linear velocity. Both types of momentum are conserved, but angular momentum is specific to rotational motion while linear momentum is specific to linear motion.

4. How does the shape of a Slinky affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a Slinky is dependent on its shape and mass distribution. A Slinky with a smaller diameter or a larger mass concentrated towards the center will have a smaller moment of inertia, making it easier to spin and change its angular velocity. On the other hand, a Slinky with a larger diameter or a mass distributed towards the ends will have a larger moment of inertia, making it more difficult to spin and change its angular velocity.

5. Can the momentum of a Slinky be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a Slinky can be changed through external forces such as friction or collisions. When a Slinky collides with another object, it can transfer some of its momentum to that object. Additionally, friction from the ground or air resistance can also change the momentum of a spinning Slinky by slowing it down or speeding it up.