Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spinning Away from the Sun?

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    So I have heard that the Earth is spinning away from the sun at a slow rate. Is this rate fast enough to negate global warming by a significant amount, or is it too insignificant to effect anything?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Where did you hear this? It is not true to my knowledge.

4. Apr 22, 2016 #3

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Apr 22, 2016 #4
    I heard about it in another thread.

6. Apr 22, 2016 #5
    Thanks anyways.

7. Apr 22, 2016 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are both long and short time scale variations in the Earth's distance from the Sun. Over the time period of 1800-2050 AD, the distance increases slightly, however from 3000BC-3000AD, it averages out as a decrease in distance. Over really long time scales (billions of years) the Earth will have a net movement away from the Sun due to the Sun's own slow loss of mass. But none of these will cause significant changes in the climate in anything less than a geological time frame. For instance, at the average rate of distance increase between 1800 and 2050 AD, the distance will only have increased by some 2100 km over that 2.5 century time span, which pales in comparison to the 149.6 million km distance to the Sun.

8. Apr 22, 2016 #7
    Thank you that answers my question.

9. Apr 22, 2016 #8
    By Kepler´s 3rd Law, should it cause a year to grow by 21 ppm, meaning get 10 minutes longer?

10. Apr 24, 2016 #9
    The Earth is either spinning towards the Sun and speeding up, or slowing down and spinning away from it
    At the present time, the Earth is spinning away from the Sun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted